Pulsar Hd38s

matchking

Just taken the plunge and bought a HD38S. What is the best setting to use it on to spot and identify foxes? Also do you use auto calibration or manual?

Cheers Sean

Hi Sean I'v only had mine 4 months but I found ,to set the refresh to Manual mode ,and the other setting to between 12 and 14,

sometimes the Fox will really glow and other times its quite faint,

it will take some time to get used to identify the heat source and the way they move ,

Having had mine for a few months now I've just got it on Forestry and Auto calibration... I don't normally worry about the brightness and contrast and only think about them when I accidentally touch the adjuster. I might fiddle with it and switch to the higher "Eye" logo definition if I see something way out that I can't really identify. I use my left eye as you'll end up night blind in it whatever.

As Ergid says.... you learn as you go along and identify stuff from the way they move and the signature in relation to other stuff around it. Started calling badgers "maggots" as the ripple like on when they move. Look like big slugs really.

They are bloody good though! As long as you have line of sight your vision doesn't stop at the tree line.

I couldn't quite get a shot on a fox last night as it was just too dark for the Zeiss, switched the 'scope to the NV unit and got the call going...... it didn't come straight in but circled back into the wood behind the seat downwind of me <_< it was sat about 20yards away trying to work me out and then retreated back into the wood and sat down for 20 minutes waiting for me to clear off so it could come back out. Eventually got fed up with that and wandered off.

An hour and a half later.... here's foxy coming along the top of the field and then cuts across directly on the line to end up in the wood behind me where it started from. Result. Now I'd like to think that was the same fox..... and it's not the first time I've had it happen since getting the thermal. So that's the new theory - they usually come back to where they started.... especially if they were due to meet a mate.

That's 14 foxes out of that one seat since Christmas, 10 of those have been pairs on the same night.

Enjoy..... it's transformed my foxing...... but bear in mind that a fox could fall out of line of sight when you shoot it and they don't give off a glow. I've been cursing wondering wtf and it's been there all the time. :lol:

Cheers

Fizz

I took mine out last night for the first time. Could not believe what you could see with it that you couldn't pick up with the lamp. Had a few miss calls thought we had seen a fox turned out to be hares or badgers, By the end of the night seemed to be getting the hang of. We ended up shooting some rats on an old cover crop. The keepers son was out with us.He flicked the lamp on the maize and told me there weren't any rats about. I fired up the thermal, shite there must of bee over a 100 of the little sods there.We ended up shooting 30 odd with the NV on a 22 rimmy. I have sold my PVS which was superb but the thermal is a different league.

Regards Sean

Archived