moderator for my trg

Evening all,

Im looking for a new moderator for my trg 22,
there are so many out there its a little confusing. it will be predominately for range work and i wanted
an over barrel type. ive looked at a:
reflex t8
wildcat predator
sportac from syss
a tec spartan
any one had any first hand experience with them?, the differences seem quite a lot, the spartan looks the nicest and
only weighs 300g compared with the sportac which is 3 inches longer and weighs over 600g, are there any differences
in recoil and sound reduction between them?
thanks for the help,
regards paul.

I was in the same position as you a few months back On looks alone I would avoid the wildcat predator in my opinion the diameter of the mod is to thick and looks silly a lot of the members on here have said good things about the one less Charley reflex mod but I am going to get an ase jetz compact

Paul,

There are very few proper comparison tests for sound reduction,and even fewer for recoil!But most work quite well.....On a range rifle with a heavy barrel (TRG) weight of mod should not be an issue-ie light has no advantage (it does on a stalker).I'd go heavy and stainless steel-durability.

I'd very much recommend you add the ASE range to your short list-North Star is my favourite reflex,but SL5 etc are very good too. If you have special needs,'onelesscharlie' on this site makes custom mods,very well liked,without a high premium on cost.

Gbal

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the advice guys, i think i'll go with the spartan from tac fire systems, heard a lot of good reviews , lets hope it holds up to range work. suppose i'll just have to make sure i clean and maintain it regularly.

yeh that is true, i was going to get a tab cover for it to help reduce mirage, ive never tried one but they seem quite popular over in the states.

I spoke to Jackson rifles who are the uk distributor for the Ase line of moderators. I was enquiring about the borelok system and the chap pretty much said anything he could to out me off the idea after asking my intended application and requirement for a precision rifle.

I was surprised to find out that the muzzle device part of the system is only held on by the threads with no extra security clamp or grub screw etc and was advised the setup it not 100% solid and was meant for military requirements for quick detach only and not as a mechanism to keep the moderator securely tight and prevent it unscrewing and becoming loose.

I spoke to Jackson rifles who are the uk distributor for the Ase line of moderators. I was enquiring about the borelok system and the chap pretty much said anything he could to out me off the idea after asking my intended application and requirement for a precision rifle.

I was surprised to find out that the muzzle device part of the system is only held on by the threads with no extra security clamp or grub screw etc and was advised the setup it not 100% solid and was meant for military requirements for quick detach only and not as a mechanism to keep the moderator securely tight and prevent it unscrewing and becoming loose.

I had a bore lock fitted to my jet-Z 2 weeks ago by Jackson's, they fitted it and returned it back to me in 3 days ?. I flitted the muzzle break attachment to my AW and gave it a thorough testing, it is a very well engineered and manufactured system. There is a grub screw that butts up against the threads and the whole system appears to lock on solid, however on testing.... The group size increased noticeably on the 6.5 x47 (same batch of ammo, shooter, no other variables had changed) and more importantly it wasn't consistent from removal to remounting. On a military weapons system in .308, 338 or .223 this would not be as noticeable as it was on the 6.5 and for those type of users any degradation would be offset by the QD feature.

Jackson's customer service was brilliant as usual and it was returned. I'd say their advice about it not being suitable for a precision rifle is very sensible and ties up with what I experienced, now using the Jet-Z back on the barrel threads. I Would be interested to try a mod that screws directly into the AI threaded break? See if has similar issues.

Interesting comments, I am having problems with my mod as the groups are not good at all, so far have gone through 200 test loads and cannot get less than 1/2" 5 shot group at 100yds so took the new mod off and ended up with almost a clover leaf 5 shot group!!

Need to try another mod just to make sure before I purchase another make! Anyone in my area..Nr Taunton have a M14X1 threaded mod I can try.

I have a 6.5X47 595 semi custom.

Thanks Tony.

Thanks for advice, as the above says some interesting comments. With the old reflex I had which was 2nd had to begin with actually made the groups slightly smaller than without for me, got to about 1/2 inch to 1 inch with it. Without was about an inch. Anyone had a custom build one made by one less charlie, these as I've read are a fully sealed still unit and better for range work than the spartan. As the above says they do get hot pretty quick

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all,

Im looking for a new moderator for my trg 22,

there are so many out there its a little confusing. it will be predominately for range work and i wanted

an over barrel type. ive looked at a:

reflex t8

wildcat predator

sportac from syss

a tec spartan

any one had any first hand experience with them?, the differences seem quite a lot, the spartan looks the nicest and

only weighs 300g compared with the sportac which is 3 inches longer and weighs over 600g, are there any differences

in recoil and sound reduction between them?

thanks for the help,

regards paul.

Sakos 'factory' offering used to be the br tote t8, but I see they have now changed to the ase. Either the threaded or the one that fits onto the brake.

I'm just about to order a T8 for mine, if only because it matches the factory phosphate finish on the barrel/action. And maybe the fact they work well too ?

ASE Utra SL 7 was fantastic on mine. Very quiet and I had minimal point of impact between my mod and no mod zero. I seem to remember that with the mod my POI was .5MOA high and was repeatable. Very easy to account for.

Downside is the weight. Although it is not that heavy when it is on the end of a 26" TRG barrel you know its there. None the less still usable in the field.

Can't recommend them enough.

thanks for all the help. i called the chap at one less charlie and am going to go for an over barrel type stainless steel but with a 3 port built in brake incorporated into the mod. the get it phospahted to match the barrel, something a little different. once its finalized and built il post up some pics and a maybe a video

Archived