AMMO for Africa advice please

Hi I need some advice about transporting ammo for a pending trip

Does ammo need to be transported in metal case? Will a peli case will be fine I have at the moment at 1120

Does the 5 kilogram limit apply to ammo ot ammo including metal casing?

I have flown many times with single shotgun for competitions however not with a rifle for hunting purposes with 60 rounds of ammo

Thanks

real life experience please

Both my strom cases are all olive green in colour and I am going to ZIMB

Is that a problem?

I heard in Bisley that any thing "military look" are not allowed.

I have even bought "NON green" clothing in order to accomodate this restriction but I dont fancy buying 02 new peli cases if I can get away with it.............

londonhunter

Hi travelled to Czech republic last year to military comp (and again this year)

I used a Peli 1430 case for ammo - 150 rounds of 7.62x51mm in three MTM cases came to just under 4.5kg, this case has provision for two padlocks and is totally secure (unless you have a chainsaw)

I had no problem with customs and airline in either direction, neither did my travelling companions, who had similar items of kit.

Rifle was in aluminium AI case - again no issues.

Make sure you have correct visa's (if applicable) and paperwork.

I am flying direclty to zim whilst the double and ammo goes to Jberg and travel by land.

Londonhunter

I am more worried I have to change cases due to colour - green

60 rounds of 416 rigby will cost a bit to replace and we have only 05 days on the ground

londonhunter

Hi London Hunter. I regularly travel to Africa to hunt and represent a Safari Outfitter in the UK. I hunt in RSA though, not Zimbabwe (a beautiful country now totally shagged). Your olive green cases should be fine for Zim, it's cammo that they don't like. Airlines and RSA police have no problem with MTM type cases for your ammo, I think this is an airline thing. Weight (I thought it was to a max of 4 kg but this will depend on the airline)is the total weight of ammo in box (No airline staff has ever weighed mine or had any check at all. The police at Jo'burg checked my ammo one time since 1997). Zim does not allow cammo clothing but green is OK. However, as I understand it and at the moment, a UK citizen is not permitted to take any firearm to Zimbabwe as sanctions are in place, even for sporting purposes on a temporary basis. I know people get round this by going into RSA and from thence to Zim but as a UK citizen, you are breaking the sanction and thereby, the law. It would be well to check with the Department of Trade and Industry and/or the Foreign Office on this subject before you go.

I have just noticed that you are to fly directly to Zim. Do you mind me asking what airline and have you checked that they will accept your firearm as checked baggage?

I took this off the F.O. Website:

Elections are scheduled to take place in Zimbabwe on 29 March 2008. There is likely to be increased political tension in the run up to and immediately after this date. You should avoid all political demonstrations and rallies as there is a potential for these to turn violent, particularly in high density areas and the Central Business District of Harare. We strongly advise against visiting high density, low income, urban suburbs.

There has been a general increase in the level of violent crime and a serious deterioration in the economy and infrastructure, making basic services, including utilities very unreliable. Food, fuel and water can be difficult to find. Health services have deteriorated and can be of a low standard. It is almost impossible to access even basic or emergency treatment without first providing large cash payments. See the Political Situation, Health and Local Travel sections of this advice for more details.

You should ensure that your travel documents are up to date and readily available and that you are registered with the British Embassy. You are advised to have your own contingency plan of how you would leave at short notice. See the General (Living in, or travelling to, Zimbabwe) section of this advice for more details.

There is a low threat from terrorism. But you should be aware of the global risk of indiscriminate terrorist attacks, which could be in public areas, including those frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers.

You should exercise extreme caution when travelling. Public services are unreliable. We advise against backpacking and travel on public transport.

The main types of incident for which British nationals required consular assistance in Zimbabwe in 2007 were dealing with arrests or detentions, related to minor crimes (15 cases); and replacing lost and stolen passports (86 cases).

We strongly recommend that you obtain comprehensive travel and medical insurance before travelling. You should check any exclusions, and that your policy covers you for all the activities you want to undertake. See the General (Insurance) section of this advice and the Travel Insurance for more details.

EU arms embargo

There is an EU arms embargo on Zimbabwe. It is an offence in UK law to take firearms into Zimbabwe at the current time, even if you intend to bring them back to the UK at the end of your visit.

LOCAL LAWS AND CUSTOMS

You should always carry your identity documentation or copy of your passport.

Photography of government offices, airports, military establishments, official residences and embassies, in addition to other sensitive facilities, is illegal without special permission from the Ministry of Information. Taking photographs of members of the security services (police and armed forces personnel) and of demonstrations and protests is not permitted. Laws are strictly enforced. You should note that the area around State House in Harare (the President's official residence) is patrolled by armed members of the Presidential Guard. They do not allow loitering, by motorists, cyclists or pedestrians, and photography is strictly prohibited. Use of GPS navigation systems around the President’s Residence is not advised. If possible, you should avoid this area.

The simultaneous holding of Zimbabwean and a foreign passport is prohibited. The Zimbabwean authorities may prosecute people found to be in possession of both a Zimbabwean and a British passport. The British Embassy is not in a position to provide the full range of services to people with dual British and Zimbabwean nationality. See What We Can Do To Help.

Zimbabwe has many safari lodges and game reserves. There have been a number of incidents in which animals have attacked visitors resulting in injuries and, in some cases, deaths.

Animals in the game parks and reserves are wild. They should be treated with caution and respect, and not approached too closely.

There are laws against indecency, which effectively make homosexuality illegal in Zimbabwe.

Penalties for possession, use or trafficking in illegal drugs are strict and offenders can expect heavy fines or jail sentences.

You should not carry any precious or semi-precious stones without the appropriate paperwork.

It is against the law for civilians to wear any form of clothing made from camouflage material.

For more general information for different types of travellers see Travel Checklists

If you live in or travel to Zimbabwe we strongly advise you to:

Register with the British Embassy. This can be done online at: http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/ (click on 'services' at the top left and then 'online registration')

Check this travel advice regularly.

Avoid large crowds and public demonstrations, which have the potential to turn violent.

Ensure that your travel documents are readily available. Ensure that your passport and Zimbabwe immigration and residency permissions are up to date. Your passport should have at least six months validity and three blank pages left in it. Failure to do so could impede your exit.

Ensure you have your own contingency plan for how you would leave at short notice and regularly review its viability in the light of changing circumstances.

Ensure that you are content with your own and your family's security arrangements and keep yourself up to date with developments.

British Embassy

Corner House (7th Floor)

Samora Machel Avenue/

Leopold Takawira Street

PO Box 4490

Harare

Telephone: (263) (4) 772990

(263) (4) 774700

Facsimile: (263) (4) 774617

Email:

Office Hours: Consular Opening Hours:

GMT:

Mon-Thurs: 0630-1200

Fri: 0630-0930

Local Time:

Mon-Thurs: 0830-1400

Fri: 0830-1130

I hope this info is useful to you. have a great hunt.

David.

Thanks for all the info

I am booked an elephant culling trip.

The gun and ammo will go seperate to RSA ahead of the main party whereby and a local PH will drive the parcels by road north to ZIMB.

We have chartered a private plane to fly to cull area for 300 pounds per head - I am informed we will be shooting within hours after landing.

I note your advice and have no intention getting involved with anything other than those with LOOOOONG tusks........

I have olive drab storm cases for gun and ammo and have ditched all my camo clothing even green t-shirts.

londonhunter

If members are interested I will post a video or photo upon return.

This is something I have been dreaming since I was a kid.......................

As I said to a friend recently I was looking for PAMPERS in Camo after confirming the trip now that this is banned I have to make do with normal pampers from TESCO.................................

Would we be interested?

Hell yes ;)

A few years ago I went to RSA for my second hunting trip from Manchester Airport via Air France and via Charles DeGaulle airport.

Police at Manchester wanted us to put our rifle bolts in our hand luggage but we resisted this move.

Unknown to the rest of us some of our party had done as requested by the Police and at C. DeG. their bolts were found and we were all in deep that which promotes growth and vigour and almost missed our flight.

When we got to Joberg we found our rifles had not been put on the plane and as there was only one flight a day we had to stay in local accommodation until next day.

Our rifles appeared the next day but our internal flight had been booked for that specific previous day so we lost our money and had problems finding another flight willing to carry firearms to East London.

We lost one days hunting because of the stupid Frogs and Manchester Police.

I believe I flew with Scandinavian Airlines the first time over there.

HWH.

I am definitely interested in hearing more about your trip London Hunter. Sounds very interesting. I will wait impatiently for your video post or anything else you might tell us.

Stag. I travel to RSA out of Manchester too. However, I always use KLM. I have never been asked to remove the bolt from the rifle. If I was, I'd insist, as far as possible, that the bolt was still carried in the rifle case (sometimes the SAA security ask that the bolt is placed seperately in the rifle case). It really is not for the police to say how the rifle is transported, rather the airline.

A client of mine last November booked Air France from Manchester. The first try, Air France baggage handlers refused to carry a case with ammunition in it. He missed the flight and lost money on his RSA internal flights. He was told to return the next day. He did. Same S**t. It took Air France three more days to get him on a flight. He lost more money on RSA internal flights. They refused to upgrade him so he could have left earlier, despite the crap he had to suffer. No compensation. I advise all my clients to be careful with Air France and go KLM, even though they are partners! Having said that, a client this year left and returned to Manchester on Air France without any problem, except the small irritating problem of Air France losing his rifle on the way out and on the way back. He had to wait a day at Jo'burg and return to Manchester the day after he got back, to collect his rifle. Be careful of Air France. I leave by KLM late May for a three week hunt. I hope I don't have to tell you all I've changed my mind about KLM when I get back!!!! :P

David.

Hi to all the experiecence africa hunters I plan to carry a sony hi def camcorder with 03 spare battery to cover 05 days and 06 hours of shooting plus small camera as backup using AA battery so no charging needed

Any tips and NO NO's please again bad experience ........................

I plan to tip a porter to film the whole cull and hunting experience bringing a mono pod to steady the camcorder so footage is clear without shake - shame I did not buy canon wiith IS feature

londonhunter

clothing wise I have purchased long sleeves heat gear made by under amour 04 x which dries in 30 minutes after washing

ankle boots

I am practicing a lot snap shooting i.e. shooting as I mount the double like a sporting shotgun using open sights

I got the double modified by Bob of Garlands since it is a Merkel 416 rigby with sights more commonly found on an english Holland double I really wanted a illuminated fibre optic bead but non is availbale at short notice

I hope it will be OK on the day

I plan to bring the lightest bino like 25mm zeiss and none of the UK swsar or zeiss monster

I wanted to bring a machete knife but I am told thats the porter's job

I have purchased a large synthetic ammo belt which snaps in the rear without any loose bits in case of snaring onto something during the cull.

THis belt carries 22 slots and I plan to slot 02 roudns at a time with 02 spaces in between for quick drawing

I have seen a wrist band large game ammo belt but again only available in the states and not available in UK

No anything else you guys can advise me on..................

Hi London Hunter. Make sure your boots are well broken in and comfortable. You wont need your machette, that is indeed the tracker/skinner's job. If you find you need one, use his! You probably wont even need a knife at all. I have seldom used mine, though I always carry it (and my Leatherman). Tracker/skinners do the knife work, especially if there are trophies to be caped. You are right, in my opinion, to wear long sleeve shirts. All flora over there tend to have sharp thorns. I am sure that is not strictly true but it sure seems like it. Likewise, baggy trousers are better than tight trouser. I can't offer an opinion on cameras and other photographic equipment. I know nothing about photography except for point and shoot and hope that the snap turns out. That's the beauty of digital. If you mess up you just do it again. Ideal for me. Last year, the Tracker/skinner videoed five of my animals hunted. It is great to have a movie of the hunt, plus it shows you exactly what you did wrong. If you have a nice watch, leave it at home. Go to Argos or the like and buy a cheap one. Foreigners with Rolexes Etc. get targeted. Beware of friendly helpful people at airports. They may be genuine but there are touts who prey on uncertain and nervous visitors, they can tell that it's all new to you. Just be aware. I was last in Zim in 1999. It was bad then but I believe it has gone downhill considerably since then. I'll be interested to get your impression of today's Zimbabwe. Take care.

David.

LH

I know its late in the day but a call to Trevor Proctor may be beneficial re your sights.

He is about the best in the UK for doubles.....

Sounds like a wonderful trip....

The details on restrictions / requirements are on www.berr.gov.uk under "guidance on the export of firearms" a bit heavy reading but looks as though not a complete ban just a need for extra paperwork for countries on the list - .

Seems that ammo is also included in restrictions.

For AirFrance 5kg is inclusive.

good luck

john

Archived