Shooting under pressure.

Jay Foxing

I found the video digraceful.

Shooting at any animal with a bow is a poor way to kill it, regardless of what it is. Arrows kill by bleeding the animal to death, deer run for miles, and bear get very pissed off indeed. Before anyone jumps down my throat, i shoot two different compounds, and also longbow.Thank God its banned here.

The rifleman needs to A. Get a larger calibre weapon, and B. get some range time in. If i had a pound for every american hunting video that contains a wounded animal, i would be a rich man, talk about constantly fuelling the anti,s fire. Granted, they had no choice but to shoot the sow, but no mention was made of the cub? Guess they just left it to starve? Then all the guide was bothered about, was whether it was on film.... :D

Hi Baldie,

I agree with your statement fully, bow hunting is not a humane method for taking large game. The only reason i posted the clip was, i thought the shot on the sow was a great shot under such pressure. The shot on the boar was not the best, two shots and still not down. But in reality, i and should imagine many sportsman have not had one shot clean kills now and again. We all try our up-most to ensure everything is done to ease the suffering of any animal we take the life of. This clip shows that reality. As for the cub, nothing was mentioned. I too hope they followed up to the best of their ability.

All the best,

Jay.

I think the video shows them initially going for the bow shot, but deciding against it because of the wind conditions and range, hence the first shot at the male bear was from a rifle. You can see the bullet pass through and strike the water beyond.

First shot:

Now I am no bear expert (or deer for that matter :D ) BUT, it does not look like a well planned shot, hardly a steady position no bipod or form of rest just prone and away, the shooter has to move postion twice before taking the shot - his heart must have been pumping frantically.

Hmm.

2nd Bear?

Well it looked like an unavoidable cull, (be killed / maimed - or kill the female bear, who was obviously protecting her cub)

It was noticable that the cameraman was making a hasty retreat, took some guts to stand there and try to deter the bear I think.

I wouldnt like to be in that position, it looked like he waited untill he had no choice and then dispatched the animal.

Again, and I am not criticising ANYONES POST here, this is just what I think.

It is a situation few if anyone here in the UK will be faced with, unless you deal with suicide attackers ;)

I see there is no reference to the cub, I assume it was dispatched also - would it have survived if left to fend alone???

Difficult circumstances, hell of a situation to be faced with.

Not for me.

I wonder what the penlty would have been if the State had found the hunters in breach of law?

I found the video digraceful.

Shooting at any animal with a bow is a poor way to kill it, regardless of what it is. Arrows kill by bleeding the animal to death, deer run for miles, and bear get very pissed off indeed. Before anyone jumps down my throat, i shoot two different compounds, and also longbow.Thank God its banned here.

The rifleman needs to A. Get a larger calibre weapon, and B. get some range time in. If i had a pound for every american hunting video that contains a wounded animal, i would be a rich man, talk about constantly fuelling the anti,s fire. Granted, they had no choice but to shoot the sow, but no mention was made of the cub? Guess they just left it to starve? Then all the guide was bothered about, was whether it was on film.... ;)

well you will love this one then Dave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dopLg4SqzpA...feature=related

ATB

Colin :D

:D;) loved the kick in the family jewell,s Col ;):D

I have to agree, that the guide must have balls like a bengal tiger, because the rifleman seemed to shrink somewhat.

I,ve always thought this about bowhunting....if its such an efficient and humane way of killing, then why do they all carry a rifle, and/or pistol? I,ll bet no one would venture after bear without. Except of course, the great Fred Bear, but he could shave the hairs off a flea,s balls at at 100 yards. Its not for me, and i just think its inhumane personally.

I have to agree Jay, we all fluff shots from time to time, we are human after all, but this vid is just like all the other american hunting vids, be it prairie doggin, coyote shooting, long range deer, or bear....the makers think its ok, and totally acceptable to just HIT the animal, seeming not to care whether its dead or not.I know all american shooters arent like that, so why do they let their sports be portrayed in such a bad light?

I,m a firm believer of the "use enough gun "school of thought.

Archived