Best for subsonic 22lr ?

ChrisF

Hi Guys ,

What do you think the best barrel lenght is for a bolt action rifle , that will be used for subsonic use only ?

Keep in mind , I want it to give as good subsonic ( high ) velocity as possible , and also be very quite with the can as well , my opinion is if you go too short , the muzzle blast / pressure is much higher , and this degrades the overal suppression .

Will use subsonic & target ammo only in it .

Later Chris

Subsonic and standard velocity .22 LR ammo is designed so that all the powder is burnt after about 16" of barrel length.

The short answer is that the "best" barrel length depends more on what the manufacturers care to supply, and you need, than what you fancy. Remember that if you have a barrel cut back and rethreaded, you'll need to have it reproofed at some expense and inconvenience. (I know that this is debatable, but it's reality).

If you want a rifle to use in dense woodland or from a vehicle, a 16" or slightly shorter barrel might be "best".

I'd be inclined to buy what was on the shop shelf, then just try different brands of ammo until you find one that it likes.

I don't know what NZ law is, but be advised that minimum legal UK barrel length for a rifle is 12".

maximus otter

I have a BRNO model 2 with 16" barrel my mates' has 14" both with parker hale mods to the MK1 ear not much in it his is slightly better out the truck window. I also have a 1022 with 12 1/2" barrel and PH mod most of the noise is from the action.

There are plenty of 16" barrelled .22's from the factory and Anchutz do a 14" 22.

Thanks , just looking for the sweet spot , I have a 22lr thats 12 inches , and it seems louder than what i am use to , my old Finnfire had a std lenght barrel and was super quite with the same cans .

Mind you I was using std target ammo , maybe just supersonic or close to it ,

Cheers Chris

The only issues I'd think of would be

- is there enough barrel to achieve useful vel?

- portability/cosmetic considerations

Luckily here there are no "reproofing " issues :)

I just went from a factory 22" barrel to a 15" on a Sako quad

no noisier although I am using a Weirach moderator now as the overbarrel PES won't fit (at the moment)

much more convenient and accurate shooting offhand standing is so much easier,

it single holes at 50yds from a rest

it is definitely a bit slower as I can now see the bullet flight and am aware of it every shot, before I would rarely see the bullet

but the rabbits don't notice

• 3 weeks later...

I just went from a factory 22" barrel to a 15" on a Sako quad

no noisier although I am using a Weirach moderator now as the overbarrel PES won't fit (at the moment)

much more convenient and accurate shooting offhand standing is so much easier,

it single holes at 50yds from a rest

it is definitely a bit slower as I can now see the bullet flight and am aware of it every shot, before I would rarely see the bullet

but the rabbits don't notice

I did the exact same thing with my sako finnfire and it handles really well don't see the point in a long barrel if its not needed myself

Archived