picatinney one piece rail for tikka m595

Tony.H

where can i get the above, with screws?

i am looking to change from my optilocks, and to just have a one piece rail and QR rings, as i would like to buy some NV kit later this year, and i want to swap day sope over to NV without too much hassel.....any help

atb

tony

You've got a bit of a choice really........ depends on what you want to mount as well to an extent..ie If you want to mount a Drone Pro NV with it's QR levers and fairly wide base you'll need 10mm high's to allow the bolt handle to clear..... Dave aka Warbucks is going through this process on the AirgunBBS/nvforumuk and is getting a special longer one from Alan Rhone to get the eye relief correct.

Original Tikka Rails are steel (I think) 6mm high........

Third Eye Tactical..... 7075 Alloy are 10mm high but available with different MOA's....... Zero and 20 at least;

Same for EGW... Evolution Gun Works available from Kinneys Shooting supplies (v.useful site that) in the US;

Recknagel from Alan Rhone.. I think these come as 10mm high a standard but they will do custom rails... including the length, possibly in the lower steel as well.

John Carr Guns in Doncaster were recommended to me by Dave aka Baldie at Valkyrie for custom rails.

Fair choice when you get into it. At some point when I've got my Drone set up to suit me I should have at least 2 spare... both TET's and or a 0MOA EGW..... it was the learning process I tell you! :lol:

Cheers

Fizz

:ph34r:

You've got a bit of a choice really........ depends on what you want to mount as well to an extent..ie If you want to mount a Drone Pro NV with it's QR levers and fairly wide base you'll need 10mm high's to allow the bolt handle to clear..... Dave aka Warbucks is going through this process on the AirgunBBS/nvforumuk and is getting a special longer one from Alan Rhone to get the eye relief correct.

Original Tikka Rails are steel (I think) 6mm high........

Third Eye Tactical..... 7075 Alloy are 10mm high but available with different MOA's....... Zero and 20 at least;

Same for EGW... Evolution Gun Works available from Kinneys Shooting supplies (v.useful site that) in the US;

Recknagel from Alan Rhone.. I think these come as 10mm high a standard but they will do custom rails... including the length, possibly in the lower steel as well.

John Carr Guns in Doncaster were recommended to me by Dave aka Baldie at Valkyrie for custom rails.

Fair choice when you get into it. At some point when I've got my Drone set up to suit me I should have at least 2 spare... both TET's and or a 0MOA EGW..... it was the learning process I tell you! :lol:

Cheers

Fizz

thats bang on what i want it for, a drone, so will go TET 0moa, and just have leupold QR mounts for the day scope...then sell me optilock rings and bases.

thanks for everyones help,

atb

tony

not sure weather to hold off for now then fizz, as ive just read on the bbs what warbucks has been doing with his, i think if somone posted a picture of one set up showing the correct rail as well, it would help me understand the dilemia he is having..nothings ever straight forward........

atb

tony

Hi Tony,

I posted pics of mine with the 0moa TET rail on the nv forum http://www.nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6384&start=0 if you haven't already seen them.

Dave is waiting for his rail from AR's and I'm keen to see his pics too.

I got a customs charge slip for my EGW rail this morning and as I couldn't be *rsed to drive over to Stevenage and pay for/collect it I paid on-line... it'll be here Tuesday so I can compare it to the TET rail then.

Cheers

Fizz

Hi Tony,

I posted pics of mine with the 0moa TET rail on the nv forum http://www.nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6384&start=0 if you haven't already seen them.

Dave is waiting for his rail from AR's and I'm keen to see his pics too.

I got a customs charge slip for my EGW rail this morning and as I couldn't be *rsed to drive over to Stevenage and pay for/collect it I paid on-line... it'll be here Tuesday so I can compare it to the TET rail then.

Cheers

Fizz

i cannot see your pics, i am not a member, ive ordered a TET now and QR rings having them coated so they match my action..........

Here you go Tony......... the NV forum is definitely worth joining though.... one of the friendliest and most informative ones around. Carl Moore, who's company sells the Drone, is a member and pretty quick to answer any questions you may have...... and takes the banter too! :lol:

Cheers

Fizz.

SAM_1110_zpsc361dce5.jpg

SAM_1109_zpsbe19c981.jpg

SAM_1108_zps8fa01c39.jpg

SAM_1107_zps1ff1c4c4.jpg

SAM_1106_zps7bf55ef2.jpg

Here you go Tony......... the NV forum is definitely worth joining though.... one of the friendliest and most informative ones around. Carl Moore, who's company sells the Drone, is a member and pretty quick to answer any questions you may have...... and takes the banter too! :lol:

Cheers

Fizz.

SAM_1110_zpsc361dce5.jpg

SAM_1109_zpsbe19c981.jpg

SAM_1108_zps8fa01c39.jpg

SAM_1107_zps1ff1c4c4.jpg

SAM_1106_zps7bf55ef2.jpg

Do you get repeatable scope zero on both day and nv scope after changing from one to the other fizz?

thanks fizz, also so whats your head position like? do you feel like your straining to keep still, could the unit do with coming back another inch or two or do you fell this is just right?

i will not be buying the nv unit untill this coming christmas, so i am starting to save now...

atb

tony

Hi 6.5, Tony,

Both yet to be put to the acid test... just waiting for the new OLC mod to arrive (Hopefully Tuesday) and then it'll be all systems go. :) The Drone is certainly a lot better than the doublered Photon I had - that had quite a narrow field of view and when you're trying to latch onto a moving fox it was bloody difficult. :mad: Ok for something that's sat still or just mooching though. I use an HD38S thermal for spotting....get one they're brilliant! Watched a fox back in a wood for 10 minutes last night before it came into the open ground - it was just sat there 'looking' at badgers.

I did ask Carl Moore the question on repeatability but didn't get an answer.... I don't see why not if the Drone is mounted the same every time. (He said....fingers crossed)

The head position is ok in either of the last 2 slots for me but the true test will be up a high seat.... I do just have to push my head forward a bit. Another option might be to just remove the eyecup but that could illuminate my face which wouldn't be too clever when you're trying not to alert charlie. Dave/Warbucks couldn't get on with his standard 6mm high Tikka rail which meant the Drone's mount had to be in front of his bolt's travel to avoid it fouling.... so he's ended up with the special 10mm high rail from Alan Rhone where they've left it long for him so he can cut it to fit. I think he said it was £85.

's me.

atb

Fizz

i think the drone pro will be all i can afford this year as i just had a 20tac built, and brought all new reloading kit for it plus brass, but the thermal would be an awesome thing to have, just not sure i want to cheat that much ;)

this forum sure does get you spending your hard earned money quickly for all the latest must have's

thanks for all your help fizz

atb

tony

My EvolutionGunWorks rail arrived this morning - comparing it to my Third Eye rail it's about 27mm/3 slots longer on the front and 8mm/1 slot longer on the back end which means it ends at the back of the action's grooves. But as the mounting holes are equi-distant, it means I can turn the rail round to give me the extra length/slots at the back. The only downside to this is that the EGW is milled for RH bolts (The TET is ambi) and turning it round means the cartridge has to be loaded past the edge of the rail underside. I'll live with that for the time-being not having hammers for thumbs and I don't think the .17Rem case will snag on ejection. (Derrrrr.. why not use the magazine? - because I sometimes like to load a single if I'm trying to be as quiet as possible! ie there's another fox in front of me).

The other 'snag' was the standard bolt handle if the Drone was mounted with the rear clamp nut above/behind the bolt slot...... I bought one of these Lumley Arms CF knob replacement bolt handles and it's slimmer so clears the Drone clamp nut. and very nice it is too.... but I might try and get a smaller knob! :huh:

http://www.lumleyarms.us/Tikka_595_2f_695_Bolt_Handle/p2286876_11703620.aspx

Cost an extra £11.50 odd duty and handling when it came in... and it was reasonably quick to arrive. I went for it 'cos it was slimmer and slightly swept back compared to the standard bolt handle.

Note of caution: the 2 front screws of the rail need to be shorter - the second from the front can protrude into the chamber and snag the bolt lugs and the front one hasn't a lot of clearance above the thread of the barrel.

TET Original:

SAM_1127_zps1ccf2583.jpg

EGW the 'right' way round.

SAM_1126_zpsa5ed9162.jpg

TET on top of reversed EGW:

SAM_1125_zpsb00f291e.jpg

Drone in last slot on reversed rail from here:

SAM_1124_zps2dbfbb09.jpg

SAM_1123_zps17c311e2.jpg

SAM_1122_zpsa059e54b.jpg

SAM_1121_zpsbb9d5ce5.jpg

SAM_1120_zps5ff47a38.jpg

JR Hartley posted over on the nv forum that Turvey Stalking in/near Bedford now have the bolt handles and knobs in stock at £56 delivered to the UK. Bargain.

Cheers,

Fizz

it does look nice fizz, now in two minds weather to just save for a thermal unit instead of the nv, as i lamp for myself and this would give me the best advantage i think...

tony

it does look nice fizz, now in two minds weather to just save for a thermal unit instead of the nv, as i lamp for myself and this would give me the best advantage i think...

tony

Getting the HD38S Thermal has been an eye opener and game changer for me.... at this time of year with no ground cover you can get a '10 minute warning' that a fox is approaching - I watched one just sat looking at badgers the other night and it was another 5 minutes before it came out to a shootable point (Next to the vixen I'd shot at last light).

I've got a Gen3 spotter with a 3x lens on the front and originally thought I'd use them together but the G3 now just gets left at home...... looking through the G3 with or without a laser, I can effectively only see as far as the edge of a wood.... as long as you have line of sight the thermal will go way back into the wood and you pick up the heat sig. It's almost like looking through a black and white camera, with a sepia tint and you do get a 'picture'..... I've watched planes coming into Luton and I know that's a good 5 miles to the flight path.

The only downside is that the brightness of the Thermal kills the night vision in that eye as it's so bright, but it can be turned down and some have added filters to the eyepiece.... but I spot left eyed and shoot right eyed and so ending up night blinded in both! :lol:

It takes a while to learn what you're looking at but it comes down to the size and mainly the movement.... if you're looking at rabbits a fox is suddenly very obvious. More difficult between foxes, badgers (they move like maggots!) and muntjac. Since Christmas, I've shot 13 foxes out of one high seat from last light into pitch black.... I'd never had known most of those were even about - 10 of those were dog and vixen pairs ie over 5 sittings..... and other foxes seen on the same nights have been dealt with within days of the pairs. I have noticed that having shot one.... I've not always managed to get a bead on the other but it generally returns after an hour or two. Patience is a virtue.

So far these have been taken with a Gen3 dedicated or a doublered Photon, which has now made way for the Drone as I couldn't get on with the Photons narrow field of view and trying to find a moving fox in the dark wasn't easy. May be worth looking out for a secondhand Photon and get a T20 on it.

Cheers

Fizz

Getting the HD38S Thermal has been an eye opener and game changer for me.... at this time of year with no ground cover you can get a '10 minute warning' that a fox is approaching - I watched one just sat looking at badgers the other night and it was another 5 minutes before it came out to a shootable point (Next to the vixen I'd shot at last light).

I've got a Gen3 spotter with a 3x lens on the front and originally thought I'd use them together but the G3 now just gets left at home...... looking through the G3 with or without a laser, I can effectively only see as far as the edge of a wood.... as long as you have line of sight the thermal will go way back into the wood and you pick up the heat sig. It's almost like looking through a black and white camera, with a sepia tint and you do get a 'picture'..... I've watched planes coming into Luton and I know that's a good 5 miles to the flight path.

The only downside is that the brightness of the Thermal kills the night vision in that eye as it's so bright, but it can be turned down and some have added filters to the eyepiece.... but I spot left eyed and shoot right eyed and so ending up night blinded in both! :lol:

It takes a while to learn what you're looking at but it comes down to the size and mainly the movement.... if you're looking at rabbits a fox is suddenly very obvious. More difficult between foxes, badgers (they move like maggots!) and muntjac. Since Christmas, I've shot 13 foxes out of one high seat from last light into pitch black.... I'd never had known most of those were even about - 10 of those were dog and vixen pairs ie over 5 sittings..... and other foxes seen on the same nights have been dealt with within days of the pairs. I have noticed that having shot one.... I've not always managed to get a bead on the other but it generally returns after an hour or two. Patience is a virtue.

So far these have been taken with a Gen3 dedicated or a doublered Photon, which has now made way for the Drone as I couldn't get on with the Photons narrow field of view and trying to find a moving fox in the dark wasn't easy. May be worth looking out for a secondhand Photon and get a T20 on it.

Cheers

Fizz

bloody nora, ive just seen the price of those thermal, come on lucky lotto numbers. :D so i am just gonna save and see what santa bring this christmas,nv or thermal, i know what you mean about the black hole in front of your eye, i had a yukon nv a few years back and fell down the bank cos id switched eyes and could not see a thing :D :D, but i only one good eye and i need that to shoot with, i have to shoot left handed as my right eye is nacked....

thanks for all your help fizz

atb

tony

Archived