Volquarsen 10-22

Last night i was putting the 10-22 back together after a full strip clean, when i noticed at the front of the stock forend there was a small piece of foam type material stuck in the barrel channel which was putting upward pressure on the carbon fibre barrel, so i decided to remove it , thinking free floating barrel - better accuracy, you know where i'm coming from ;)

Then i refixed the action back in the stock, and was horrified to feel the action rocking in the stock :D The stock is a Boyd's thumbhole. The action is only fixed in by one screw, hence the rocking, the rear of the action just hooks under a part of the stock, so where i need your guys help is should i refix a sticky bit of foam material back in the forend of the barrel channel or i was wondering if it could be bedded ?? Would there be any advantage to this ??

When i get a spare minute i'll call Roger @ SYSS, and get his advise, but hopefully you guys can HELP !!! :(

Cheers Steve

Roger always used to use the front foam bed, until i trapped his bloody fingers in the door ;)

This can happen with a vq, when the barrel is floating, but its easily fixed, by a single pillar, and then a small amount of bedding. I did my own, and it transformed it.The stocks arent made for vq,s they are made for rugers, and they are slightly different.

Roger always used to use the front foam bed, until i trapped his bloody fingers in the door ;)

This can happen with a vq, when the barrel is floating, but its easily fixed, by a single pillar, and then a small amount of bedding. I did my own, and it transformed it.The stocks arent made for vq,s they are made for rugers, and they are slightly different.

Thanks Baldie

Could you please elaborate on where you bedded and single pillar ?? Apologies on sounding vague, but i dont want to fudge it up :( Do I need to bed the under side of the section that holds the rear lug ?? Greatly appreciated -.

Cheers Steve

No steve, all you need to do, it machine up a pillar, that can be devconned into the stock, dont thread it like the std escutcheon, but make the shank hole slightly bigger, and obviously counterbore it for the screw head. Make it nice and fat...say 15 mil in dia.This gives a nice flat surface for the action block to sit on.The bedding doesn,t need to go under the ledge, it just needs a little bit where the rear of the action actually sits. Take the whole trigger unit out, and just look at the action, its the back wall bottom, thats all that needs bedding. Once dry, the action screw should pull it down flat, to the bedding at the rear, and the pillar at the front. If you arent confident, send it in buddy.

No steve, all you need to do, it machine up a pillar, that can be devconned into the stock, dont thread it like the std escutcheon, but make the shank hole slightly bigger, and obviously counterbore it for the screw head. Make it nice and fat...say 15 mil in dia.This gives a nice flat surface for the action block to sit on.The bedding doesn,t need to go under the ledge, it just needs a little bit where the rear of the action actually sits. Take the whole trigger unit out, and just look at the action, its the back wall bottom, thats all that needs bedding. Once dry, the action screw should pull it down flat, to the bedding at the rear, and the pillar at the front. If you arent confident, send it in buddy.

Thanks Baldie

I owe you one dude ;) I'm going to give it a go !!! Second thoughts, so i can assess the pro's and con's, give me a rough idea on cost ??

I greatly appreciated your time on this matter

Steve

Archived