NRA RCO HME Course

Tiff

I'm attending the HME 'add on' course this coming weekend at Bisley and wandered if there is anything in particular I should be revising?

The HME zeroing procedure is covered in two pages at the back of the RCO manual and is somewhat self explanatory. The course is costing £57 and takes half a day, so there must be more to it….otherwise it would surely just be included with a 'normal' RCO course?

Tiff ive done it and really as long as you pay attention you cant go wrong! Lets face it if I passed then anyone can!

Lol, sounds good.

Thanks for that John, if I may ask another question without derailing the thread; were I to start planning to build a range on private ground, who is the current authority on the plotting of RDA's?

Frank Compton would be a good person to speak to. His contact details are in this publication:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/33596/pi_10_10.pdf

Well I'm pleased to say I passed - although while ever so slightly technical, it was not exactly challenging if you rco & shoot regularly - the last two pages of the NRA manual basically covers it....

Having been through the process, I believe it would be far better if the HME part was included with the standard RCO course. It would only take an extra hour to cover concisely (at most) and would make it considerably easier (& around £200 cheaper) for those that don't live near Bisley.

The redeeming feature of todays course was nra chief instructor Charles Perry, with his great enthuastic delivery (& tangent police stories) making it considerably more interesting.

I also enquired again with a different senior NRA staff member about the field firing area designation of Stickledown, regarding the hard target trace it has....only to be told they are 20% busier than last year with less staff, so while being worked on, they haven't had a chance to expand the option further within the framework of negotiating with the army and other stakeholders - So that made a lot of sense?

From what I understand of a range, it either is or isn't a FFA /LFTTA and does or does not have a hard target trace signed off. I gave up trying to get any clarity after I saw the brickwall 4" in front of my nose...but I'm still little confused how it is up for negotiation if it is indeed already in place?

Hard target template lots different to 'soft' buddy.

I understand that, but from what I've heard & seen it already has a hard target template. I belive Butt Zero on Stickledown is used for steel plate and hard target testing by various police authorities etc. Hence my confusion over why the templates existence couldn't be confirmed?

Maybe it's a generational thing, but I find Bisley most strange at times...

Maybe it's a generational thing, but I find Bisley most strange at times...

True.

Enquiries were made with regard to using steel 'Hard' targets on Stickledown about this time last year. Initial response was that it was a possibility and the relevant traces were worked out and drawn up iaw the current JSP. The available lanes was very limited due to the developments at Bisley over the last 20 years; shot gun layouts where Long Siberia used to be have basically stuffed the Field Firing Template.

Although the regulations look like they could be complied with and targets could be used on two lanes on the LHS of Stickledown the guy responsible for liaising with the Army to get it approved had made a right royal mess of changes to Century and has since been keeping his head down.

Archived