Dirty n133

hughes.s

Just been out trying some loads 2 x 5 n120, 5 x 5 with n133, the n120 burns clean as a whistle,

very little soot on the necks (19.6g 55g spsx) (19.6 55g blitzking)

55g spsx on top of 20.6 n133 looks ok too, groups are good, sub moa @100yds, will chase these, no signs of overload.

Clean necks inside and out,

It"s the lighter made up rounds

23.0/23.4 n133 50g blitzking 5 of each,

23.0/23.4 n133 52g amax 5 off each,

these show signs of the case neck not expanding enough (really dirty sooty necks, (inside as well) and poor groups) so a tad more powder needed ?, primers show no problems.

Brand new Winchester brass fls to fit my chamber (-.003 to shoulder). neck crimped, all ogives -.020 short of lands

Whats bugging me is n133 a dirty powder, is it because there is not enough powder for a efficient burn?.

Did a barrell clean after 20 rounds really dirty crown, filthy patches.

is this a 222rem your shooting ? i used N133 in 223 rem but my load was between 22.6 - 23-tops ! the former in hot summer ! - but assuming your using 222 ? if its 223 , your load seems a little low ? iv read posts that some people have used 24 grains of n133 !

for the lighter loads , if your not getting any pressure signs then up it slightly ! and see what happens ! i remember 133 being clean burning ! but i have had sotty cases with N135 ! atb tim..

You assume right Hughes.s, the dirty loads aren't generating enough pressure to expand the case to fill the chamber, low pressure is probably responsible for the dirty burn too.

Mike

Archived