PES Moderators

Has anyone had any bother with a PES fullbore mod? I have had mine for a couple of years now and swap it from rifle to rifle without any problems until a few months ago. On removing and refitting on both rifles zero is always shifting (2 or 3 inches left or right). Both rifles have quality scopes on so that rules them out, all mounting screws, action screws are tight etc. I have noticed a build up of residue around the stainless steel blast baffle at the muzzle end of the rifle, causing a jagged exit hole instead of a perfectly round hole, is this the problem of my accuracy?????????

I wonder if the problem has been caused by worn bushes which in turn would cause the the moddy to be of line so to speak. Another possible cause of the build up is perhaps needing a clean, Im not saying you dont clean the moddy but just a thought. I squirt napier cleaner in mine or wd40 as Ive been told moddies love a drint especially wd. Im no expert but just my pennies worth. And slightly intregued as Ive a scout on my 25-06, or for Rogers benifit 1/4 to 6!!!

Have you got the bushes mixed up? It shouldn,t really matter, as the moderator should snug down, and align on the barrel shoulder, NOT the rear bush. Its there purely as a safety device, lest the mod comes loose a couple of turns. Sounds like it would benefit from a clean. Soak it in wd40, then use an ultrasonic tank to clean it.If you havent access to one, ring julian up at PES, i know he has one, and would probarbly do you the job, i,m sure.

hmmm

I wonder if the funny shaped baffle hole would function in the same way as a crown with damage?

I don't know the answer but what is the difference between exiting the barrel and exiting the moderator ( of any make :lol: )!

Guest varmartin

The Idea of a moderator is to slow down the gasses not the bullet , so the gasses should still be contained within the baffles long after the bullet has escaped.

Some of the mods on the market have a Hex key on the end for maintenance so the misshaped last baffle should not be of concern.

I would think the difference in machined barrel shoulders has worn the mod so now it does not fit as well as it used to when it was new.

Think your right Varmartin ie swopping over mod from rifle to rifle,bush to bush again and again has just got to ultimately build in a bit of slop from wear and tear.I said on a a previous post that you cant make a mod do a double act forever and from experience I now use dedicated mods and their bushings.One mod one rifle no compromise no problems.Onehole.

The bush shouldn't make any difference unless it is touching the barrel, which it shouldnt't. It is there purley as protection against damage if the mod is banged or dropped. Try shooting without the bush on both rifles, swop them about and see if you still have the shift in zero. If all is working well there wont be a shift then you can have your bush's opened a though or 2.

Has anyone had any bother with a PES fullbore mod? I have had mine for a couple of years now and swap it from rifle to rifle without any problems until a few months ago. On removing and refitting on both rifles zero is always shifting (2 or 3 inches left or right). Both rifles have quality scopes on so that rules them out, all mounting screws, action screws are tight etc. I have noticed a build up of residue around the stainless steel blast baffle at the muzzle end of the rifle, causing a jagged exit hole instead of a perfectly round hole, is this the problem of my accuracy?????????

first thing i would do is find someone with a ultrasonic cleaner,and give it a good going over.

contact Julian of PES mods and ask him what he recommends to use as cleaner for the ultrasonic.he is a member on here,but i don't think he visits very often. here is his web site,you should be able to get everything you need from there

http://www.jmsarms.f9.co.uk/gun.htm

i don't think it will be the rear bush,unless it is very very tight,

it could be a few things like

shoulder of screw cut to moderator shoulder not mating square.

lose internals on the mod, but this would all so effect the groups,IE you would not be able to shoot good groups they would be erratic

and there are a few others as well.but my money would be on the cleaning, get her cleaned first and let us know how you get/got on.

i do know Julian has a ultrasonic cleaner,and he is one of the good guys and I'm sure he will be only to pleased to help out.

ATB

Colin :o

Cheers for the replies, gave the mod a good clean (took ages to remove the residue build up, it was like a brick!!). 22/250 shooting fine now, 25-06 was still crap. I have reduced my load and now is shooting as it used too. For some reason I upped my load as someone said the 25-06 shoots better with a full load, not my one, it blew some of the primers. So now back to some accurate happy hunting!!!!

Thanks

Archived