Reloader 15 help please

rimmie

Re15 is too slow burning to be ideal for a 55gn bullet. Running it through QuickLOAD, the answer is that (in theory at any rate) you cannot overload the cartridge. At a 100% case-fill level, 23.9gn on QuickLOAD's default case capacity value, you burn less than 90% of the powder charge in the barrel and only produce 39,000 psi. Most cartridges won't perform well in this condition. Even going to a 10% load over case capacity somewhat above 26gn (ridiculously, potentially dangerously over-compressed) it still calculates 56 thousand odd psi pressure and 94.6% charge burn - but I'd never recommend running anything at this compression level though even if you can get it all into the case.

Sell it and get hold of Viht N133, N135, Alliant Re10X, Hodgdon H322, Benchmark, H335 if you can - easier said than done right now I know! Lovex SO60 (sold as Accurate 2015) is available if you hunt around and is an excellent single-base short-cut stick number for this application. Its recommended maximum load is 24.7gn for 55gn bullets in .223 Rem. Ramshot X-Terminator is a ball powder that is also widely available and is an excellent choice for this combination, also Ramshot Tac if you plan on mixing heavier bullet loads with your 55gn number.

The old Accurate Arms handloading manual back to when the company used Lovex powders lists 223 Rem + an unspecified 55gn SPBT with a starting load of 22.5gn, maximum 25.0gn 2015 for 2,887 to 3,281 fps MVs from a 24-inch barrel. Test loads used Rem brass and 7.5 (Small magnum) primer. Lovex lists 23.1gn starting, 24.7gn maximum for again unspecified 55gn bullets in S&B brass and with an S&B primer for getting on for 3,200 fps max load.

I've always thought Accurate 2015 / SO60 very underrated here. I've used it with good results in all sorts of combinations from 6BR with 55gn 6mm bullets (great results), through 6.8mm Rem SPC (OK, but there were better powders) and .444 Marlin and .45-70, as well as .222 and .223 Rem with lighter bullets and .204 Ruger with 32s and 39/40s. When I mention it to most people I get blank looks as they've never heard of it.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it'll work out well for you in 223 with the V-Max, so good shooting.

I'm sure he could tour the country and never buy a drink!

Is that a reference to my being a Scot who lives in Yorkshire whose forgotten the combination code of the padlock on my combined sporran and purse? :) :) :)

Archived