A good start with new toy

Chris-NZ

I recently got my new varmint/occasional F-Class gun running.

It's a fully trued 40X in a shortish BR stock, 27" Bartlein chambered in 6x47L and topped with a 5-25 ATAC-R.

It's the middle one of the these three my son photographed yesterday. No smart comments about the colour- that's how I inherited it but will soon paint it..

Guns1_zpsa5018baa.jpg

Anyway, the weather today was kind, if not a tad hot, so we headed 40mins south to one of the four contiguous farms I can shoot on. My son warmed up with a few maggies with the 6.5L- it certainly takes no prisoners with the A-Max 123s- this one was lifted about 8" into the air when it hit

65x47Rob-1_zpse6ebbd37.jpg

I only had an interim zero with the 6 Hot so tried it on some small rocks on a clay face at a bit over 400yds. The elevation was pretty much spot on but I figured the windage zero was maybe a 1/2 L out at that distance. There was only a very light breeze from about 10.30 so not onerous. I'd only fired three shots when my son spotted a maggie about 300yds further round the face. Geovids said 443 twice so cranked on the elevation and added another half min wind as it was slightly more sideways to the light breeze. Let one go and was greeted by an explosion of feathers. It's a toy to shoot with noticeably less recoil than its bigger brother and because it's heavier rifle too.

6Hot443yds-2_zpsb0c4452f.jpg

Heading home, the temp hadn't dropped

Temp19Jan14_zpsde55b094.jpg

that's 91F for the metric-challenged.

It was straight into the pool when we got home then a beer watching the one-dayer against India

Gandy-

they were just 105 A-maxs. It's shot sub half-inch first attempt with A-Maxs and Scenars (both jammed) as well as Hybrids (15 thou clear). It's just cheaper to hack round with A-Maxs before I try some systematic testing and fine-tuning.

I was a bit uncertain how it would shoot as I'd read various report that the 6 version is more finicky than bigger brother. My 6.5L was certainly dead easy to get it racing but this one isn't proving too bad at this stage,

Archived