sako TRG STOCK HELP

hunter87

Hi guys I'm having the exact same problem as this guy in the link with my sako TRG stock I have tried several times to fix it but with no joy hopefully someone on here should be able to explain what I'm doing wrong I don't think he sorted the problem out from reading the thread

http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hide-bolt-action-rifles/96467-sako-trg-22-stock-issue.html

I working on my TRG at the moment, while waiting for the rain to stop. Push the stock pieces togther, lightly tighten (at this point they often separate) then while pushing together, do the final tightening. In reality there is normally always a slight gap and you just get used to in a while.

I've not had this problem with my TRG. I suggest you remove it all and fit the butt first and the fore-end second. Where the two halves join it is a very close fit and any binding will cause that gap.

Thanks guys out of interest how many inch pounds do you tork the screws down to? And what screw do u tighten on the butt first the top one or the bottom

For a while I thought to myself maybe that's just the way its made

With the butt, I try and tighten them equally, since if you look at the design, you're effectivly pinching the stock in place - so you want a nice even contact, to get the most equal surface area pressure and subsequent grip. Not sure about poundage on the torque, I do enough so it's comfortably holding - I have seen TRG's with spilt forends from over-tightening....

Thanks tif so to the guys who posted I'm guessing your butt stocks are level and this defo isn't part of the TRG design then

Yup. Level and square, so the problem is a problem and not a design flaw.

Ok so the stock sits level but when I tighten the screws they push the stock down out of alignment this happins no matter which screws I tighten first and even if I thighten them up a little each time I have looked at the screws and both are perfect

I've taken a look at the instruction manual and it clearly shows a level and square fit. It does how it should be removed and refitted, but I wouldn't have thought there would be a science to that. I've attached a link to the page where you can download it from and you'll see the pdf on the right of that page. HTH.

http://www.sako.fi/downloads.php

I've taken a look at the instruction manual and it clearly shows a level and square fit. It does show it should be removed and refitted, but I wouldn't have thought there would be a science to that. I've attached a link to the page where you can download it from and you'll see the pdf on the right of that page. HTH.

http://www.sako.fi/downloads.php

I seem to have fixed the problem usingS-31 DEVCON 2 TON epoxy resin I removed the screws and masked off the areas I didn't want the epoxy to get to using masking tape and white lithium greese then applied the epoxy to the stock put it back on and pushed the butt till it lined up with the forend and let it sit in that position to set (without replacing the screws ) when it set hard I removed the stock to check it over then replaced it and did up the screws tight and it has stayed level. Only time will tell with recoil if it will work perminatley but for now I'm happy.

• 4 weeks later...

I read this topic on snipershide forum:

Re: Action screw torque for a TRG

I received this advice from SAKO, Finland, some years ago.

Quote:

Normally, when rifle is assembled at the factory no certain torque is used. Comprehensive testing has showed that slight differences in fixing torque has practically no effect on accuracy on SAKO TRG, normal "hand tight" fixing is sufficent. However if you wish to use certain torque, values have been given mainly for law enforcement armourer purposes.

Action screws/ rear stock screws: 14 Nm

Trigger assembly screw: 10 Nm

Front stock screws: 4 Nm

Cheek piece: 3 Nm

Butt plate: 4 Nm

Muzzle Brake: 10 Nm

14Nm=123.9in-lb, 10Nm=88.5in-lb, 4Nm=35.4in-lb, 3Nm=26.6in-lb

Archived