New to night vision

Hello all, thinking about entering the world of night vision, never had much to do with it before to be honest as I font really know anyone with it! Just wondering what's the way to go? Thermal to spot then flick the light on or a night vision scope? I have no idea about this as it's not something Iv ever considered? I really don't want any rubbish either, what's everyone's view on the archer? Or is there something better please any opinions welcome, I think if I go with a scope then I will have a dedicated rifle to save the hassle!

Hello all, thinking about entering the world of night vision, never had much to do with it before to be honest as I font really know anyone with it! Just wondering what's the way to go? Thermal to spot then flick the light on or a night vision scope? I have no idea about this as it's not something Iv ever considered? I really don't want any rubbish either, what's everyone's view on the archer? Or is there something better please any opinions welcome, I think if I go with a scope then I will have a dedicated rifle to save the hassle!

Best thing to do is 1st get yourself a budget, not being rude but night vision is a mine field and you can lose some big money by not doing it right 1st time.

If all your shooting is done off a truck or floor on a bi-pod then its a bit easier as you can have a choice of an add-on or dedicated unit.

An add-on can put your head in a weird position as you lose between 3" to 5" of your head position on the stock as this is where the add-on goes onto your day scope, you can put a extension on the end of your stock which can help, also you can get reach forward mounts that help too,

with a dedicated unit you don't get this.

Next is what rifle are you thinking of using and what distance do you wish to shoot, also if you wish to go Digital or tubed units.

As to the best way its all down to personal preference, I would say if you can afford the best go for a Thermal unit to spot with then to a gen 3 tubed unit

Here is a rough idea of prices, I haven't put the Thermal unit on as the prices vary to much but someone will give you an idea on price and best unit to go for.

If you go down the add-on route you will need a scope with side parallax something like a 4-18x56 also a DSA to attach the add-on to the scope (cost around £80 to £110)

you will need a good ir illuminator (cost around £80 to £300)

Gen 3 add-on cost around £1000 to £2500........ Dedicated scope around £2000 to £5000+

Gen 2 add-on cost around £600 to £1200...........Dedicated scope around £500 to £3000+

Digital add-on cost around £150 to £1500...........Dedicated scope around £500 to £3000+

Hope this helps :huh:

Tuck,

If you are new to NV the best advice I can give is to have a look at as many units as you can, I'm sure there must be someone on here who lives in your area that will let you have a look at their units.

I use an Archer on the back of a Swaro 2.5 - 15 x 56 and a Pulsar thermal spotter and find it a great combination, Ive also got a Pulsar digital N750 that I use for rabbiting and it's not a patch on the Archer.

Other great places for NV info are AirgunBBs and Nightvisionuk forums.

Tuck,

If you are new to NV the best advice I can give is to have a look at as many units as you can, I'm sure there must be someone on here who lives in your area that will let you have a look at their units.

I use an Archer on the back of a Swaro 2.5 - 15 x 56 and a Pulsar thermal spotter and find it a great combination, Ive also got a Pulsar digital N750 that I use for rabbiting and it's not a patch on the Archer.

Other great places for NV info are AirgunBBs and Nightvisionuk forums.

+1 for Andys comments, thermal for spotting takes some beating, and the Archer on the back of the correct Gen 2 Sworo take some beating if you want an add on and use one rifle. I also use a Longbow scope in conjunction with thermal. A good D-760 will allow 300 yard vision with no illumination. !

Good hunting....

Thanks all for the info thinking about getting a thermal I think then perhaps flick light to shoot anyone else do it this way whats a decent thermal?? Any suggestions middle of the range I'm thinking

Thanks all for the info thinking about getting a thermal I think then perhaps flick light to shoot anyone else do it this way whats a decent thermal?? Any suggestions middle of the range I'm thinking

Quite a few shoot that way, thermal then flick the lamp on and it can be successful, as far as thermals go I've only had mine a few months which is a Pulsar HD38 this has recently been super seeded by the HD38s which by all accounts is very good and will set you back around £2800ish.

Archived