Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA?

Dear All, Has anyone any experience of the Weatherby Sub-MOA rifles? I saw one today coming out of its box, looked nice too! Most impressive thing to me was the guarantee, guaranteed to shoot sub-moa out of the box with premium factory ammo. It comes with a factory shot target to prove its capability.

Dosn't come in the calibre I have applied for (6.5x55) but as I live in west mercia I am having plenty of time to change my mind!

ft

Dear All, Has anyone any experience of the Weatherby Sub-MOA rifles? I saw one today coming out of its box, looked nice too! Most impressive thing to me was the guarantee, guaranteed to shoot sub-moa out of the box with premium factory ammo. It comes with a factory shot target to prove its capability.

Dosn't come in the calibre I have applied for (6.5x55) but as I live in west mercia I am having plenty of time to change my mind!

ft

The SUB MOA Weatherby is a scam, buy a Howa and it will do the same, thats all they are rebadged.

I agree. There is no difference. Smith and Wesson, Mossberg, and Weatherby have all sold HOWA rifles under their individual brand names. Look for the "Made in Japan" stamping.~Andrew

PS: Nice rifles. I have a varmint in .223. Avoid the synthetic stocks. though. Too much flex in the for-ends.

The SUB MOA Weatherby is a scam, buy a Howa and it will do the same, thats all they are rebadged.

Now I realise that Howa make the rifle for Weatherby but are you really trying to tell me that the only company that "guarantees" the accuracy of their rifles are pulling a fast one? From the most litigeous society in the world ;) hhhhmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!

Now I have managed to shoot a few rifles over the last couple of years, and I have yet to see another rifle, for the money, come close out of the box (even some very expensive ones). There do seem to be differences in the Weatherby/Howa rifle to my albeit untutored eye. The safety venting on the bolt for one, I am sure I can find others too.

I just wondered if anyone else had used one, and what they thought?

ft

I have owned Vanguards.

I'm sure that the guarantee is legitimate. So tell me, if you order a Weatherby Vanguard and it only shoots MOA with factory ammo are you going to send it back? Not likely. Nor would 95% of the shooters who buy them. If it boosts rifle sales, why not offer the guarantee? There are some very fine premium-grade rifle munitions out there right now. All they have to do is fire a three-shot, sub-MOA machine rest group with any of them and send it back with the rifle. Weatherby is a good company. There may be minor differences between the Howa and the Weatherby Vanguard (most notably, the wood and exterior finish) but they are the same barreled action and they have been long acknowledged to be the same rifle. ~Andrew

"I have owned Vanguards.

I'm sure that the guarantee is legitimate. So tell me, if you order a Weatherby Vanguard and it only shoots MOA with factory ammo are you going to send it back? Not likely. Nor would 95% of the shooters who buy them. If it boosts rifle sales, why not offer the guarantee?"

Would I send it back, mmmmmmmm. Probably, 'cause I'm difficult like that ;) , I want things to do what people claim for them. The standard Weatherby guarantee is not bad, but I think the sub-moa guarantee is a bit special. Sako claim it, but don't guarantee it, Weatherby do. Bit like the old "one in one thousand" Winchesters from the late 1800's. Don't make my calibre as I say, but interesting given the "sue" culture in the US of A,

ft

Flytie,

That garuntee has so many loop holes in it, (IMHO) a shooter wouldn't be able to do squat about from a legal sense. It is just that, a marketing slogan that is meant to advertise quality. The "with premium ammo" is the big kicker. Who's to say what is "premium ammo" and what is not? I have owned several Howas over the years, and can honestly say that of the four, all of them were sub-MOA. One was even 1/4 MOA (I had to shoot the groups ten times to verify, I was so surprised!). Howas/Weatherby Vanguard/Mossberg/Smith&Wesson...regardless of the name stamped on the receiver, good guns...

Sako are in a different league to Howa /Vangaurd and do guarantee MOA accuracy on all their rifles :

"Both brands produced by Sako Ltd. (Sako and Tikka) are truly the finest production rifles available to the American shooter. Their match-grade barrel, adjustable trigger, silky-smooth bolt and distinctive styling are only a few of the attributes that have made Sako and Tikka household names in the USA. Most importantly, these rifles only leave the Finland factory after passing a rigorous 1-inch 100-yard test, making them an industry benchmark for out-of-the-box accuracy. "

How would you prove less than sub moa accuracy? one thousandth of an inch less would meet the advertising std and I doubt you have the equipment to disprove it.

Reality is, as Andrew says is it is a good sales gimmick, with modern ammo it is acheivable off a machine rest and if you had a problem rifle they would fix or change it so its a win win situation for them and you.

Redfox

Archived