Tikka T3 .223 to .22-250 (rechamber?)

mildot

Hi Guys

I have a Tikka T3 with a Border varmint barrel 1/8" Twist chambered in .223. However I want to change it to a .22-250. Is it possible to machine the bolt to accept a .22-250 head and rechamber the barrel?

The barrel has too much life left to bin it, so the alternative is rechamber and machine the bolt.

So gun twiddlers is it possible and rough costs?

Before someone asks why, well because I can and i want to. I'm bored with .223 so don't want to hang about trying to shoot out the barrel.

Cheers

Hi Guys

I have a Tikka T3 with a Border varmint barrel 1/8" Twist chambered in .223. However I want to change it to a .22-250. Is it possible to machine the bolt to accept a .22-250 head and rechamber the barrel?

The barrel has too much life left to bin it, so the alternative is rechamber and machine the bolt.

So gun twiddlers is it possible and rough costs?

Before someone asks why, well because I can and i want to. I'm bored with .223 so don't want to hang about trying to shoot out the barrel.

Cheers

Why not buy a T3 bolt with a .473" face, could be cheaper and easier doing this and having it headspaced than having your existing bolt face opened up.

Will this project not also count on the profile of your barrel too? If there's not enough depth of material around the chamber area, gunsmiths could get a bit twitchy about taking the job on.

Ive always been lead to believe that bolts are silly money! but I don't know.

As for the barrel, it should be fine as the barrel is based on a remington varmint barrel profile, which I assume is the same profile as cals upto say .308...

Ive always been lead to believe that bolts are silly money! but I don't know.

As for the barrel, it should be fine as the barrel is based on a remington varmint barrel profile, which I assume is the same profile as cals upto say .308...

Turns out you're right, Brownells list the bolt body for a T3 at $384.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolts/bolt-body-t3-rh-d13-5-prod31623.aspx

Good news on the profile.

Dasherman made a couple of suggestions the last time this was brought up, I don't know if you use him.

I have used Neil before and still using my sako .243AI he did. Its a dead accurate rifle.

Im sure the Tikka bolt is easy to machine to the correct diameter as with all tikkas I believe the bolts are all the same, they are just machined to suit different bolt faces. But I could be wrong!

Someone rang me the other day asking the same thing.

If you open up the bolt face to accept the bigger case, it will leave the extractor sat too far into the bolt face and the round will not chamber. You would have to weld up the extractor slot and re-cut it.

A ridiculous amount of work to change the calibre. Sell the gun and buy the appropriate one...it would be cheaper.

Cheers mate, I don't want to pinch this chaps post, I've put a post in hand loading section title 223 ackley 53gr if you care to look bud ;)

Sorry mate it's in varmint rifles and heavy plinkers :)

I was fearing it would be a lot of work! Looks like I may sell and get a .22-250! or AI the .223? hmmmmm decisions.

As for the .243ai and a .22-250 the .22-250 uses loads less powder, bullets are cheaper which means I can shoot more with it! Plus Like Danny says The wife doesn't like me using the .243 anymore!

I was fearing it would be a lot of work! Looks like I may sell and get a .22-250! or AI the .223? hmmmmm decisions

As for the .243ai and a .22-250 the .22-250 uses loads less powder, bullets are cheaper which means I can shoot more with it! Plus Like Danny says The wife doesn't like me using the .243

anymore!

Just think the 223 ackley will use even less happy days no brained for me mate against a 22-250

I was fearing it would be a lot of work! Looks like I may sell and get a .22-250! or AI the .223? hmmmmm decisions.

As for the .243ai and a .22-250 the .22-250 uses loads less powder, bullets are cheaper which means I can shoot more with it! Plus Like Danny says The wife doesn't like me using the .243 anymore!

It's quite fun to think about changes.The 243 will outshoot any 223 or 22/250 of course,though will use more powder doing so-but it is different-your original motive.

You could meanwhile get a pretty good idea of what a 223 AI would be like by just shooting somewhat lighter bullets in the 223,soa little faster.The AI doesn't normally add any more than 150 fps,and often less....hardly a quantum leap,and there would meanwhile be no extra costs. The 22/250 is a step up,but if you are buying another rifle,why not a 243-you might get away with the 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery'/you shoot it so well',line too.Savings on dies etc will offset the modest extra costs of consumables,unless you shoot a lot-and you will have considerably superior performance,and something different for the money anyhow.....243AI if you must,but then costs come back in....just a thought.....ballistics and relationships in harmony.....it's xmas!

Gbal

Archived