.22lr cci velocitors good or bad?

varmintexpress

I think you're stirring a box of snakes....22LR for foxes past 30yds head shots ain't gonna win you many friends...

Finman

people tell me they cannot get on with them.

but I am having reasonable results on chest shot foxes around the 80 yard mark.

Sorry but in my humble opinion, .22 rimfire is not good enough beyond 30yds head shot, and maybe 30 to 40 yards chest shot with high velocity rounds. 80 yards is way beyond reasonable on a fox. I have used the velocitor and found them to be good, but not at anywhere near that range on foxes.

off topic but have pulled many a 22 bullets out of Fallow deer.

Must be a special kind of shooter.!!!!

our friends that live in the caravans and collect scrap metal methinks.. :ph34r:

our friends that live in the caravans and collect scrap metal methinks.. :ph34r:

No it couldn't be.....the feo would not pass a cabinet in a caravan so they wouldn't get a certificate!!! (he said with his tongue in his cheek)

Aj

people tell me they cannot get on with them.

but I am having reasonable results on chest shot foxes around the 80 yard mark.

My certificate only allows ground game and vermin for my .22 LR's - even if it did state any other lawful quarry I don't think .22 LR is considered suitable for fox period unless its humane dispatch? I'd rather go the other way and use plenty of cartridge when I deem it safe to do so - no such thing as overkill. Humane is humane.

My certificate only allows ground game and vermin for my .22 LR's - even if it did state any other lawful quarry I don't think .22 LR is considered suitable for fox period unless its humane dispatch? I'd rather go the other way and use plenty of cartridge when I deem it safe to do so - no such thing as overkill. Humane is humane.

I have AOLQ on my ticket There is nothing saying you cant use a .22lr on fox, No legal restrictions, it is just guidance, In my role as a professional pest controller I frequently use one for fox in urban and city locations, up to a range of 25 to 30 yards and head shot. humane and instant, When using a .17hmr it would be considered ok by most to chest shoot a fox at up to 150 yards, yet the terminal energy at that distance would be no more that a .22lr sub at 30 yards, I am not advocating that it is ok for everyone to start using their LRs on fox on a regular basis, just making the point that there are certain circumstances when it is ok, IF and I stress IF, you are within the range I stated and shot placement to the head can be assured. I do however agree that centre fire .22 is the best for longer ranges, I am even sceptical about the .17hmr. as the temptation is there to use it beyond its effective range. Personally I would not use one beyond 125 yards, But that is just my opinion.

Aj

I can understand that there are one or two Muppets out there that cannot take game cleanly with low expanding low power bullets heads like the ones loaded in .22lr velocitors.

but

1. my local force put fox and .22lr in the same sentence.

and two

2. this chap died very quickly when I shot him last night with a velocitor.

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh358/nightstalker000/SAM_1037_zps20d318a9.jpg

obviously centre fire is the best option with a good expanding head but not always available in some situations.

I can understand that there are one or two Muppets out there that cannot take game cleanly with low expanding low power bullets heads like the ones loaded in .22lr velocitors.

but

and two

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh358/nightstalker000/SAM_1037_zps20d318a9.jpg.

People who prefer to err on the cautious side when it come to taking humane shots , will not take kindly to being called "muppets" If YOU are happy to take such shots at those ranges and can live with yourself if, one day a shot is pulled or blown a little and only wounds, then fine, but just ask yourself.....will you be able to control yourself when, one day a fox presents itself just a little too far out, for your velocitor? how far will you push it? 80,? 90? 100? 120? as I said in my previous post, .22 lr is ok but it has limits. and at the ranges you quote/ there is NO room for error, and none of us are good shots every single time!!! But please don't go name calling just because you don't agree with someone elses opinion.

Regards AJ

My FAC says AOLQ for my 22lr.

The speedo on my 4x4 goes to over the ton doesn't mean either is a good idea.

All quarry regardless deserves a quick humane kill for foxes at all but close range that is best achieved with a centre fire rifle.

but

and two

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh358/nightstalker000/SAM_1037_zps20d318a9.jpg

obviously centre fire is the best option with a good expanding head but not always available in some situations.

ok my old chap...please explain reasonable results?

the wording on my certificate clearly states I can shoot fox with my .22lr:

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh358/nightstalker000/Image28_zps299cdfe8.jpg

3 foxes shot this year with my .22lr.

3 foxes in the bag this year. no runners.

like I said not all situations require the centre fire.

how many people are out there getting the odd runner with their centre fire? one or two will admit to it as can be seen from the odd thread asking for advise on the best bullet heads to use. or people that have admitted it to me while speaking with them.

if I shoot a fox with centre fire or rimmfire its all about SHOT PLACEMENT and knowing the limitations of the situation.

Its not about wording on you certificate I have .44mag under lever for fox on mine but I wont use it.

Its about being on the edge of the envelope with a particular calibre.

In the 30 years or so I've been shooting foxes and large game I've only ever used on fox = .223 up to 150yrds anything beyond that i go to .243 as with deer I use a 308 out to 200yrds beyond that I go to 7mm stw.

The reasons are that I want the kill a definite any small mistake will be taken care of.

So to sum up its about respect for the quarry.

Ps I maybe a muppet but I do the job well.

i know everyone has their own veiws but surely we're not starting to say a 223 is only good for 150 yrd

I read 5R-Twist to be saying that his view for his shooting was that as range increased,the possibility of a misplaced shot increased,and a 'bigger' calibre compensated for this to some extent-the 243 would be more tolerant of a slight shot misplacement than the 223,because it causes a larger wound channel and vital organ damage.Of course this assumes appropriate bullets,but it is a very reasonable general position to hold-at the very least ,it is giving an increased margin for error.What the distances for each calibre should be is no doubt an area for discussion-and there is-within reasonable distances-no absolute formula-it will vary with the extent of the misplaced shot,and there is no guaranteed 'silver bullet',which is always instantly fatal.But his principle is excellent-we use the best tool,and the most humane, informed by our ability,for the target species.And that is the main reason the 22rf has not had much support,on this thread.

Gbal

thats fair enougth 5r but the op is happy to shoot to 80 yrd and has been jumped on .for what its worth i would not be happy at that range with a 22 lr .also for what its worth i had a dicussion last year with our local flo (i'm in the same area as the op) about a change of cal for my son who at the time was using a 17 hmr for fox and after a month wanted a more suitable cal for the job and he recomended 22 lr based on home office guide lines he said .and me being me told him he was ful of crap and that i could kill a fox with a catapult with a good shot but would'nt take one lamping . so with that short of advice is it any wonder 22lr gets used on fox

Archived