A-max

Dac9976

no question is daft if you dont know the answer

most bullet weights will suit a certain spin rate i.e. barrel twist for thir specific weight

generally speaking the heavier the bullet for that caliber the faster it like to be spun

i,e, 1-14 twist for a 50 g 6mm to a 1-8.5twist for a 105 grain 6mm

Dac

Some will specify a minimum twist rate due to their weight. Each twist rate has a range of bullet weights best suited for example a 1:10 .243 will stabilise from 55gr up to 95gr etc. The 105gr Amax is unlikely to perform well in a 1:10 and you'd need to go to a faster twist barrel.

Thanks for the quick come back fellas. I only ask because I got hold of some 6mm 105 Amax, says on the box 1/9 twist. I have a 6mm br 1/8 twist.......so can I use them??

Jagged77 you don't recommend Varget then? Why n160-n165?

I haven't reloaded smaller calibers in a while, so not certain on loads etc...But he's saying Varget will be a bit too fast a burning, to produce the best (optimal) velocities for such a heavy bullet, for the caliber.

Have you got a reloading guide? If you're going to stick to amax bullets pick up a copy of the Hornady manual it's very good. It will give you a range of powders from different manufacturers for the given bullet. A bit of reading and research will help arrive at a good bullet / powder combination hopefully without lots of trial and error. I've not loaded 105's as my twist is too slow, however looking at the manual I'd be happy with n165, re19, re22 or H4831. I admit to a particular preference to Viht powders however and I'd probably go with n165

I'm going to pick up some powder tomorrow. Not sure what to get now lol

Thanks for the advice really appreciate it.

Have a quick look at the accurate shooter site-esp 6BR section....V140 and 150 are possibles-you will know that powder choice is errrr..... limited at the moment...but if you have a list,you have a better chance!!

I've got a manual and will have a read up in the morning. Just had a quick look at accurate shooter, very interesting and helpful site.

I have a 20" barrel, just read that a shorter barrel would need a faster powder.......any thoughts on this??

I suppose gbal you get what's available:)

Have you got a reloading guide? If you're going to stick to amax bullets pick up a copy of the Hornady manual it's very good. It will give you a range of powders from different manufacturers for the given bullet. A bit of reading and research will help arrive at a good bullet / powder combination hopefully without lots of trial and error. I've not loaded 105's as my twist is too slow, however looking at the manual I'd be happy with n165, re19, re22 or H4831. I admit to a particular preference to Viht powders however and I'd probably go with n165

Are you sure your looking at load data for the 6BR?

Varget is the go to powder for 105's! Normally around 30 grains will do the trick :-)

N150, rel 15 and N540 are other good ones.

N165 and 160 are way too slow?

Cheers

Dave

Archived