Bedding Advice

I have decided to have a go at bedding my rifle :rolleyes: ( no wise cracks required!) and want to seek your advice.

I have pretty much sussed the how but want some reccomendations for the bedding material.

Having checked Devcon products on the web, which one do you use? steel putty, aluminium, titanium or stainless ?

Is this the best product or are others better and why?

Wheres the best place to get it ?

cheers

Guest northernchris

Devcon stainless,Hysol steel putty are the best ones to use,both you will be able to get though any good engineerring supply shops.

Devcon is good mate. We use the steel putty, the stainless is equally as good, but twice the price. We get ours here, as we also get a lot of tooling etc from them. They have branches allover the country.

http://www.cromwell.co.uk/

As chris says, loctite hysol is also excellent, and is easier to use, because its a 50/50 mix, which can be done easily, by filling a spoon and scraping it level etc. Devcon has to be accuratly weighed.

Cheers guys.

I feel this is a daft question but I'm going to ask it :rolleyes:

Do's the steel Devcon go rusty then? If not why do they make a stainless version as surely the epoxy would bond to either.

Aren't they both grey coloured when dry?

I,ve heard the same thing said Eldon about the steel putty [it may rust] and never seen it.This is the reason i dont bother with the stainless. If a rifle gets wet enough to thorougly soak the bedding, it requires stripping urgently anyway.

If it bothers you, get the stainless version buddy, i wouldn,t have thought there was any other difference , but the stainless grade is probarbly made for marine applications.

Cheers Baldie

I will settle for your experience as once its bonded its done isn't it and like you say the price is about £25 as opposed to £45.

If at a later stage any bonding material wants or NEEDS to be removed i.e. cock ups or to put the stock on another rifle , is the only method of removal mechanical such as dremel, die grinder etc or is there a chemical or other option.

Not that I'm going into this planning on doing it twice :lol: but it's always best to be prepared.

dib dib dib

Never had to remove bedding apart from when a new barrel is fitted thats slightly different, then it just goes back under the miller to cut it back out, then rebed.

One thing i didnt add when we talked about steel bed and rust, is that i always oil a barrelled action before it goes back in the stock.This may be why i,ve never had rust probs.

Thanks for the pointers.

I noticed on the technical data sheet it is impervious to oil and alot of other things, but glad you mentioned the oiling idea.

As a one off the Loctite Hysol is cheaper with it being a smaller quantity, but would 50 grams ( I think it was ) be enough ?

Eldon

I use Devcon for bedding, out of a 500g pot, I can do maybe 5 rifles - maybe,,,,,

Thats a full bed not a skim bed.

Don't try and save a few pennies by only getting "just enough", as you wont have enough and have to buy more to complete the job.

Always better to have too much than too little as you can compress any air pockets when you squish the action down into an over filled cavity, but you wont if there isnt enough putty there in the first place.

If you are not sure, get it done by someone who has done it before, especilly if you dont want a bonded in action.

Just my 2p worth mate :)

Cheers Ronin,

I had thought about the over rather than under filling and 500grams seems to be the way to go.

PM sent.

Archived