Dave Lloyd Gold Medal winning Captain

dannyt

Hi Guys,

Hope your all well and you've all managed to keep the dust and cob webs off those rifles for a little while longer. Praying for good, windy weather tomorrow at Altcar for our comp.

ps

I haven't forgotten about you Tim, I have your snooring and choice of TV programs ha ha.

Rich, good luck tomorrow with your comp. David L shot his first benchrest match at Diggle today (600 yards) to get two days of competitive shooting out of his trip north, and apparently enjoyed himself.

Tim! Didn't know you were a UKV member - I associate you with full-bore.co.uk. Still not many F/TR regulars on UKV though - membership, or maybe it's just posting activity levels, definitely lean towards our F/O partners.

Rich, good luck tomorrow with your comp. David L shot his first benchrest match at Diggle today (600 yards) to get two days of competitive shooting out of his trip north, and apparently enjoyed himself.

Tim! Didn't know you were a UKV member - I associate you with full-bore.co.uk. Still not many F/TR regulars on UKV though - membership, or maybe it's just posting activity levels, definitely lean towards our F/O partners.

Thanks Laurie, and well shot.

I had a fantastic day today, thanks to all the lads who made me feel so welcome.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks, Laurie, even if not there this year.

Hope to join the Italian team next Sept.

Btw, in Italy only 9x19 mm (9 parabellum in the military world) is banned (we shoot 9x21mm instead). However a lead bullet round can be used in 9x19 revolvers only.

Cheers,

Amleto

Yes, a great result for the GB teams in very strong and variable wind conditions especially the 1,000 yard match.

My 'feeling' is that while dry all weekend (one detail immediately after the Saturday midday restart aside), it was no easier than the previous year and in fact the winds were 'harder' on day 2 than anything we saw 12 months before. Despite that, F/TR scores rose appreciably, but not 'Open' as much or even at all. Despite shooting better than last year and scoring 13 more points in aggregate, I got exactly the same F/TR place (27th) albeit in a larger F/TR entry.

Open was won in 2012 by Lee Tomlinson on 459.30v, and this year by Joe Melia on 457.39v.

F/TR was won in 2012 by Tim Stewart on 439,.23v, while Paul Eggemann needed 447.30v to do it this year.

The other feature is that 'The Europeans' have become a truly competitive European event. The highest GB F/TR shooter being 4th overall is unprecendented. (Unless I've got it wrong, I don't think we've had a non-Brit F/TR European champion before.) Ther top 10 F/TR slots are half and half home / visitor, while Open remains more strongly home based with 7 GB to 3 visitor.

The Italians have improved their team game enormously with second place in both classes for 8-shooter national teams beating Germany (Open) and Ukraine (F/TR). I'm not sure how they managed the latter given the difficulties of owning / using a .308 Win rifle in Italy given its ban on the use of 'military calibres' - unless that law has been relaxed or abolished. But WELL DONE! anyway to them. (I was on the firing point next to their F/TR team and you always knew when they shot a 5 or V from the alfresco celebrations and whooping!)

Overall, The Europeans is always a great event and a near unique experience, but this year was vintage, if nothing else for being mild and dry despite truly dire weather forecasts beforehand. It moves to mid September next year and deserves to prosper.

Results are already up on the GB F-Class Association website and there will be photos and a Des Parr (Desparado on this forum) write-up added shortly.

http://www.gbfclass.co.uk/

Archived