Lamping Foxes

Toby

Is lamping a year round method or is it mostly an autumn and winter pursuit?I see that some of you work real hard in lambing season,amazing results,more foxes than I can dream of.Over here(Norway)lamping is not allowed,but shooting deer/fox by moonlight is :PAs long as it's natural light it's ok,illuminated rets ok,night vision kit,not ok. Shame that I left England before I got into my centrefire interest otherwise I would definetly be out with a lamp! Regards Toby

I'm a sheep farmer in Ireland. I shot all year around last year, it turned out to be the wrong move to make. I wouldn't say foxes are scarce this year but there are definately less of them. I'll start lambing, well not me personally :o, around the 25th of March. I'll keep lamping until my lambs get good and hardy and foxy becomes less of a threat then unless he comes across a sickly one. Probably May sometime i'll stop, not decided on a date. Then take it up again in the Autumn. Yipee I'll get some sleep this summer :rolleyes:

Have to agree with John it's an autumn/winter sport.

When the nights draw out your home far to late to make lamping a pleasure, also the cover grows up to much.

I just move on to long range bunny and crow bashing over the summer and resume a bit of lamping when the stubbles are cut and the cover is less.

Cheers

Dave.

My thoughts are a little different than the other two gentelmen, I shoot foxes all year as many of the farmers hate foxes so if I dont do it I would loose the shooting and they would get someone else to do it for them :P

When the late evenings come I tend to do alot of sitting out waiting for foxes to come onto baits and with the cubs about there is usually plenty of action.

Some people say you are killing your own sport but I have not found much difference over the many years I have been doing it. :lol:

Archived