barrel shortening

I currently have a remy 700 vls in 22250 and im thinking of getting the barrel shortened ...I am after opinions on how much it will affect accuracy and qhat sort of cost oll be looking at to be shortwned rethreaded and re proofed if that will be needed ..thanks james

As long as you don't shorten to much, you don't say what it is at the moment?

Unless it's really short barrel length does not effect accuracy, but it does velocity.

22-250 is a fast round depends on what you want to do with the rifle?

Your profile doesn't say where you are, so can't recommend gunsmith close to you.

M

I currently have a remy 700 vls in 22250 and im thinking of getting the barrel shortened ...I am after opinions on how much it will affect accuracy and qhat sort of cost oll be looking at to be shortwned rethreaded and re proofed if that will be needed ..thanks james[/qu

For barrels in the 26-22 inch range,you might expect about 15-20 fps loss per inch shortened,but it does vary a bit.Accuracy should not be affected.

Gbal

orite pal,if its standard it should be 26 inch,i have one the same and they do feel long at times but as said if you shorten it done correctly all you will loose is a bit of velocity thats all,me my self i would leave it alone as a 22.250 is a long range varminter with a long barrel for a reason in my eyes,saying that ive used a sako with a 24 inch barrel for years and now i have a 26inch remy and it hasn't turned me in to vasily zatesiv....

• 2 months later...

You only have to reproof if you take material off that reduces the diameter ' ( significantly I think was the word but that's open to interpretation by others not me ) of the barrel , if you cut and crown only then no reproof . That's the official line from the proof house any way , not my opinion and certainly not my preference ,

I've got the letter from the proof house , anyone know how u post a document rather than an image ?

Cheers

The proof house say a lot things that are not law.

Nowhere in the proof act does it mention threading, screwcutting, moderators or muzzle brakes.

They started to stamp just behind the muzzle regardless of whether the gun is threaded or not from 1/1/2013. This is done simply to make money as if a proof mark is removed, it has to be reproofed before sale. This was admitted to me by the proof house during a conversation. It has nothing to do with safety, just money.

They have LOST two court cases regarding this subject.

One of them was against Joe from the gunshop in Barnett, I think the other involved Jacksons. They have a bit on their website about it.

It does,t take a qualified engineer acting as an expert witness long to debunk the myth that threading a barrel SIGNIFICANTLY reduces its safety.

None of this was of any importance to the proof houses until they lost all the pistol work after 1998.

Proof is very import for the safety of the public, and I fully support the proofing of chambers and barrels. This is the business end and it matters. Muzzle threads have never [i believe ] burst, exploded or caused injury on their own. Its simply a money making exercise.

Agree totally if done properly would never be done to signifanctly reduce strength , I suppose the concern was the back street machinists that do it for a mate , can be a bit of a farce if the barrel is vey substantial before hand .

Thanks for the update . I'll look into it , need the info for another discussion I'm having , cheers

Still had the question re posting the document , reason for my first post. , ta

• 4 weeks later...

Archived