Savage 25 .17Hornet , Any good?

Jim78

Hi lads haven't been on for a while so need some info. I recently received a email from Sporting Rifle Magazine saying i had won May's competetion for the Savage rifle, Hardy gen4 moderator,ammo and targets. I am just sorting out the variation as i need to collect it from them at their offices in Lemington Spa. I have looked up on the web to see how they shoot in this calibre and they seem to be very accurate. Has anyone had any dealings with this rifle/ammo combo . I also noticed there isn't much load data for the cartridge is it because it's not been out long or something?

Jim

Im away this week but if you pm me your rmail adress, i will send you all the load data i worked up for the gun. I really liked the cartridge but found the load/feed elements of the savage very clunky but accuracy was excellent. Im getting the cz verson soon and am looking forward to seeing how the mini mauser feeds the dinky round.

Cheers Scotch_egg, I was surprised my self when I found out. I'm actually looking forward to shooting a rifle i didn't have to pay for.

Jim

I think i need to start thinking about scope opions now. I am a schmidt and bender user owning a 3-12x50 pm2 p1 and two 1" tube hunting scopes 6x42 and 8x56 but atmo i cant afford another s&b due to an expensive broken axle on the van....anyway whats a good affordable bdc scope to go on this savage rifle for lamping foxes that won't break the bank, Any sugesstions.

Jim

For my sins I have one, just could not resist the hype !.

Had it for 12 months now, not the best engineered rifle on the market but boy, it does shoot straight.

I keep it in the Gator with me when feeding in preference to other calibers I like the caliber that much.

MikeT, Nice to know there are few people out using them then. Do you reload or just shoot factory loads in the rifle? Personaly i wouldn't of gone for one really but a win is a win .

Jim

i have one with an 18" barrel & i have to say even though its clunky & not the prettiest sight... boy it does shoot!! actually i would say that it produced one of the best groups i've ever shot! i absolutley love the thing! got a hardy gen 4 on the end of it too, really quiet & unbelievably light!

shot a few crows one afternoon with it last summer around 150 yds with absolute ease, on one shot one of the others in the field flew off but it was obviously a young one as it ran out of steam and landed in a small tree, the tree was on a bank so a safe shot was on.. i was sitting down resting the gun on my hand on one of the bars of a gate. my mate ranged it for me and it was 243 meters... moments later it was falling to the ground :)

but i do load my own as factory ammo is just too expensive!

Cheers Soother223 thanks for the reply. Still waiting for fac variation to come back then will pick it up from SR Magazine then it's play time.Can you show your reloading info, fellow forum member Hatzi pm me some of his load data.

Jim

yeah sure, mine likes 10.5 grains of vhit 120, i make my rounds 30 thou off, i had to modify the mag a little to take them! only down side is that i'm getting 3170fps but saying that i've never bothered trying to increase the load because it just shoots so well. and to be honest its good enough for me!

Cheers soother223 ,i'll put that in the load data bank for the future.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Up date, the FAC is back from variation with the .17 Hornet on it, big thumbs up to Devon and Cornwall Firearms Dept for the quick turnaround . Now looking forward to picking up the rifle and getting a scope to go on top of it,any thoughts on a decent bit of glass for under £200 , Christmas is coming up and i might get asked by the wife what i might like, so a prime oppitunity is on the cards here .

Jim

Archived