converting AW 10rnd mags to feed in a 700 action?

gun nut

This question is usually the other way round, but i have acquired 4x .308 AW mags from a friend and having looked at one I recon I could convert it to work in my Remy 700 which already has AICS compatable bottom metal fitted. Any one done this already?

On tha other hand, would anyone like to swop 4 single stack mags for them??

Mike

Hi Scotchy,

I know i read it, i dont fancy milling stuff off the action, I want to modify the mags to the rifle not the otherway round, looking at the two types of mags it shouldn't be too difficult, just wondered if anyone had done it on here and could advise of unforseen problems. By modifying the feed lips to the same profile/height as the AE mag i don't see how it wouldn't work.

Mike

Just finished doing the conversion. It was a bit more involved than I thought and required the follower reprofiling

as well as the feed lips, but it works. First one took 21/2 hours but now I've done one the next should be a lot quicker.

Mike

Hi Scotch,

it now holds 91/2 rnds of 6.5x47, but i know where i went wrong and i recon the next will hold ten ok. I need to put a former inside the mag so that when i hammer the feed lips to the right angle it doesn't deform the sidewall at the top of the mag which is why i can't quite get the 10th round in. I'll post a couple of pics tonight if i get a chance.

Mike

PS Offer still stands if anyone has a couple of AE mags they want to swop for AW ones??

Get a block of aluminium and cut a deep slot in it with a hacksaw Mike. Then push it over the lip and bend the lip with it. This is essentially what the brownells mag lip tool is, and works perfectly.

Where were you last night Dave, now you tell me :) Anyway this is the product of a very crude conversion involving a vice, pair of pliers,a dremmel, a hammer and some 2000grit paper. The next one will be prettier but this one works.

IMAG07621_zps210aa388.jpg

IMAG07611_zps9f454f74.jpg

IMAG07601_zps969539bd.jpg

IMAG07591_zps58797103.jpg

Mike

Mk II

Made a wooden form to keep a nice sharp angle between the side wall of the mag and the feed lips, got it all made up to the same dimensions as the last one, even put an aluminium mag follower on this one.

The bloody thing won't feed with nice straight side walls!!!! Had to take it apart and hammer in the lips without the form to give a nice tapered feed up to the lips, now it works. Only holds nine rounds with or without the sidewalls being straight, but it was buck shee anyway.

Mike.

Archived