Struggling with quickload?

MJR

I am developing a new load for a 6.5 x 55. Inputing the details into quickload the calculations given suggestthis is a fill of 103% yet I can shake the case and hear the powder movig inside so it is not a compressed load. What am I doing wrong?

The details are:

Case length: 2.155"

Bullet length:1.326"

Bullet weight: 129gn boat tail (Hornady sst)

Bullet dia: 0.264

Powder: 46gn IMR 4831

COAL: 3.100"

Primer:Fed 210

I haven't measured the case capacity so I can't check that at the moment. Thanks.

When it comes to case capacity in QL, you must measure you case capacity as it will be for the brass you will load with. You'll get different case capacities depending on whether it's a new case, fired case or fired and resized case, so measure a few of each type and take an average. It will also vary between brass manufacturers and even different lot numbers.

You also need to remember that the actual percentage fill will depend on whether you use along drop tube and trickle the powder in or just dump it in with a short drop tube.

All things considered, I don't pay much attention to that particular QL number other than it being a rough guide.

I may be wrong but I thought you always measured H2O capacity from a fired case. Although I stand to be corrected.

I've re-read my post above and I see now it was a bit misleading! (must remember to read what I write before pressing 'post').

Yes, you're right that the H2O case capacity you need to input into QL should be measured using a fired case fire-formed in your particular rifle (preferably the average of several). Having said that, II have seen reviews of QL which have recommended using fired and full length resized cases for the measurement, but that isn't what the QL manual says you should do for rifle calibres.

It will always be a larger number than the QL default and it does make a significant difference to the calculations, so it's worth doing and you should re-measure with each new lot of brass you use.

Archived