about fox shooting

bigun

iv been shooting foxs just over ten years now mad for it in the start ,three times aweek was the norm ..we would soon clear up foxs as most were green ,but from time to time we did get the lamp shy foxs that had been shot at and missed by some top shot :P yes i know we have all missed a few in are day rushing the shot ..this fox made us go back and back till we got it. took us six weeks for one fox on one farm ,as soon as you lamped it, it took off ,never took no daft shots at it just kept on lamping it ,then just once it must of thought why am i running ,nothing never happens to me ..bang you know the rest ;) i was out one night in the long grass looking for mr brown and could hear her calling in here cubs after i was calling them in she was calling them back to her never did get one just seen the flash of there eyes in the long grass ..shoot one fox and another will come to its death so they say in other words you shoot one and another will take its place on the land as the scent ,marking smell dies off it may take time, weeks or even months but they they will come on so you will always have foxs on your land ..i find putting bait down draws them in on your land from miles around i use whats called lights which is ,lungs,liver,hart ect ,put it down watch it go ,then you know how many you have on by how much is been taken 150 to 200 mtrs out is best ,i put mine down in the middle of the fields or by the hedge as long as you no its going to be a safe shot ,i never shoot at eyes i must see the full fox before i shoot ,thats to be on the safe side ,had a mate out once he was going to shoot at some eyes that were far off many years ago ..i stopped him just as well really as it was a horse ;) try telling the farmer you have just shot his misses horse and see how he takes it .. your name will be around all farms in no time you may as well sell your guns ..so thats a big no no ..i use a 4x4 to get round the farms and shoot mostly out of the window or off the back, cover far more farms this way ,i can cover up to 7 farms this way in a few hours ,i find the amber fillter on the lamp is best dont like the red one cant see to good useing that one plus the foxs dont mind the amber one too much so thats the one to use .i once put down some dead pigglets as foxs love theses 7 of them there was all in differant stages of decomposeing one had magots and stinking and the last one was fresh ,i went back the next day to have a check to see if they were going and one by one they went the rotton one first with the maggots and the freshs one last took about four days till they were all gone i learnt some thing there they like there food stinking :D ,a mate of mine who had been klling foxs for years before me used to put down old cooking oil from the chip shop ,just pour it on the grass farmer cant see it but the foxs can smell it and lasts a long time ,it may get you a shot on a fox .. when the snow and the hard frost is down we find foxs like to stick to the hedges looking for food as the mice ect go deep under ground .foxs dont like hard rain so when its chucking it down stay in the house :lol:

Nice bit of info there bigun, i certainly havent been shooting foxes for as long, 4 or 5 years for me but i think all the lads on here have the bug! haha, the only thing i can say that differes from yours is that iv shot my fair share of foxes in the pissin down rain, but i suppose its a case of available food, if its rainin for weeks on end then charlies gonna have to come out eat! May we all carry on spotting eyes, shooting straight for a long time to come!

cant say iv ever shot a fox in the pissing down rain mind you they have got to feed every day ,i have forgot to add that foxs on a windy night will try and wind you by comeing round you and try and scent you down wind where on a still night they will come straight in .

foxs dont like hard rain so when its chucking it down stay in the house

Thats dam good advice :)

I have to agree with your lamp shy foxes, keep perciveering they all make a mistake in the end.

Cheers

Dave

i wonder if thats why you see so many rabbits out on a windy raining night ? no foxs about :lol: iv never shot a wet fox, must be theses staffordshire foxs that dont like the rain ..whimps :lol: ..

Nice write up bigun,may just give the fat idea a go,i have shot the odd fox in the rain but if it is forcast i tend to stay indoors,i too have seen lads that were going to shoot at eyes not knowing 100 % not knowing what they are shooting at ,cat's being the prime mistake,always make sure before i pull the trigger

Hello mate,

I also have been shooting foxes for about the last 16 years,, In those years i have been going every week, Normally four nights a week, Sometimes severn!!!

Or as my wife says that there are eight days in my week,, Ha

Like you said, I fined that the best nights are when there is no wind,,,

And after a rain storm when the worms come up????

As like your self, Some times we walk, some times we drive round,,

Personally i like the foxes that are called in from a long way,, So you can whatch them coming in!!

Also there is a lot of people foxing now around this area?? And we have now got quite a lot of shy educated foxes ????

Saying that, they can be a challange in there own write???

All the best from wales, Darrel

had a young famers lad phone me the other day asking if i would go up and sort out the foxs for his dad which,i have for over 10 yrs i tought this lad 9 yrs ago how to call foxs in which did and shot at them with air rifle what a football he now owns a 17 hmr and still misses them :huh: yeh i would call him a knob ;) some of us have it some of us dont he dont :blink: and he dont :) i like his dad so i will have to go up and show him how its done :rolleyes:

Archived