shortened barrel cz 550 6.5x55

dwight

Hi there.I was thinking of getting a mod fitted to my cz 550 6.5x55.The mod i have my eye on extends past the muzzle by 4-5 inches.. Would it pay to get the barrel shortend by around 3 inches and would this proceedure affect the velocity..factory ammo is all i can use here in the republc of ireland.

Any comments would be appreciated

Rgds

Dwight

Dwight

You should only lose about 20-25fps per inch cutting your barrel down but the only real way to find out accurately is chronographing.Unless you`re shooting at distances greater than 300 yards I don`t think you`ll find that much difference.Most factory ammo is loaded hot anyway so its not like you`ll be on the operating on a light load

All my stalking rifles are around 21"-22" and I`m happy with the performance on them.You might even find the shorter barrel combined with a mod makes it a wee bit more accurate

factory ammo tends to be a little hot compared to reloading max info so the slight drop in speed may give you a little better accuracy if yaz lucky

how long is your bbl now and what twist?

Im pretty sure the twist is 1in 8.5..I will check on that.the barrel is 24 inch

I wouldn,t reduce it at all. There is a lot of powder in a swede, it doesn,t have a lot of effect on a bullet, when its burning in fresh air. Get some predicted figures from something like quickload, with the EXACT loads you intend using, then take it from there. You will lose more than 25fps per inch. Of course it doesn,t really matter, if you need a short range, woodland ride, Roe gun, but if you want to still take 300 yard shots at reds, or whatever, you need all the barrel you have. Swedes generally use slow burning powders, like vhit 160, or vhit 560 [actually developed specifically for it] and they still burnt some outside the barrel of my 28" alpine.That was with 139 grain scenars, and vhit 560. You cant glue it back on. :lol:

Dave

I was basing my info on my .243 which lost 70 fps less the 3" chopped off

My 284 lost just over 120fps when going from 26" to 22

I know different cals have different characteristics but like I said if Dwight is shooting sub 200yds I personally wouldn`t worry about lobbing it down to 22ish

I forgot to add that we tried to work out what the loss would be using a quickload program and it said we`d lose over 150fps off each but I was prepared lo lose that anyway.Turns out I didn`t have to though :lol:

Guest northernchris

My .22-250 went from 3640fps with 25.5" barrel down to 3480fps when i shortened it to 20"

I run my swede (202 Sauer) with a 20" tube with no "real world" loss of knockdown power :lol:

The 1-8.5 twist likes 2680fps with 123gr Scenars and 2745fps with 139gr Scenars.

My .204 went from 4200 fps, at 26" to 3700 at 22". An expensive mistake.It still kills everything i want, but its not the point is it? The gun was designed for 4200 fps, and i stupidly castrated it. I always try and dissuade customers in the shop from doing the same to a 22-250, after all, why have a 22-250, that doesnt perform any better than a fast 223?

Your getting better velocities with the 139 scenars, outa that 20" tube, than i was getting out of a 28" Chris...what powder are you using? I wasn,t running max loads however, but still got muzzle flash with the vv560.

Guest northernchris

Dave

The load was 46.2gr of N160,Lapua case,CCI BR-2 139gr Scenar HARD in the lands.That was shot with A-Tec mod on over 2 different chrono,s.Interestingly i was getting 70-80fps MORE with the mod ON.

The 3480fps from the short barrelled .22-250 is with 69gr Sierra match kings over a compressed load of N160 or N560!!!! so a wee bit more poke than "a fast .223" A few people on here have seen it performing oh and it works :lol:

Archived