Remingtom MSR rifle wins the PSR contract

ChrisF

Remington has won the PSR contract with their MSR rifle , it seems the AI AX338 PSR rifle was not as good ?

The PSR contract is 80M , and the M2010 contract they also won is about 28M .

Maybe now AI will offer the PSR model as a stand alone rifle instead of a 3 calibre package ?

Later Chris

The way it works in the US is that the cheapest compliant bid wins, not the best. Also not a coincidence that a US company won I suspect!

What like Schmidt & Bender winning the optics contract over Nightforce & USoptics and others

Was it not the case? that S&B were the most expensive of the lot at 26+ million?

The way it works in the US is that the cheapest compliant bid wins, not the best. Also not a coincidence that a US company won I suspect!

I am not intimate with the US military arms procurement proceedures,and have to go on reports-such as the one on CoolGunSite.com Beretta 92FS/M9;which seems to give a reasonable account,including the schmoozing,shenanigans and malarky,not to say mud throwing (it was the wrong consistency for some of the tests!)

After the XM9 trials,it seems the Sig 226 and Beretta 92FS were the best,maybe the Sig was less expensive for initial supply,but Beretta offered the better longer term parts deal.Neither company is American.

It is just fact that Beretta were awarded the contract,and have supplied-largely through their purpose built facility in the USA.

(It does make some sense for the military to have some domestic control of production,and the Beretta has a very decent record in service.We do not know if the Sig would have,though it is well liked by other agencies.There is even less subsequent evidence for the other M9 entrants.

On such available evidence,it is not easy to sustain a generalisation that the US military adopted an inferior design based solely on price,and that the proceedure was unduly unfair,or that the outcome has been unsatisfactory to the military.

Gbal

Archived