Premier reticles

londonhunter

I had one a couple of years ago. I was then and still do run a 5-25 pmii and directly compared alongside it the Premier 5-25 had slightly larger field of view and in terms of image quality was, date i say, ever so slightly brighter at dusk-dark test. The premier was FFP though and that may have given it a tiny edge over my 2FP pmii? Dialling and clicks were spot on, the dials were huge and it had MTC which i liked but was never 100 % psychologically comfortable with the toggle locking turrets but I was unable to find them ho wrong. At the time a 5x erector tube FFP was fairly rare and the reticle got very big and small but i have since got ised to these and combined with decent illumination systems to make them stand out at low mag/wide field of view/tiny ret situations i have come to prefer them. The problem is, they were quite obviously designed to compete and compare with pmii's and pmii's have since returned the favour with the MTC and daft lens caps that require half an inch barrel clearance(cant remember their name off the top of my head), they fet in the way of the bolt handle too. Schmidt have just fallen off the rader with nobody holding decent uk stock levels, plenty of advertising but VERY WEAK warranty offered and who has the Premiers? The one i got was from Gary Hyde and he is no longer operating although his business at the time, LGA if memory serves have continued to advertise and supply some although it has looked like residual stock?

Lack of confident supply chain and advertising seems to thwart Premier and that is before we get into internal goings on and politics in many German optical companies these days with fact and rumour virtually inseperable!

The Premiers where lab tested at SAAB laboratories (I think it was...) by swedish magazine Vapentidningen last year (?can't remember exactly which number). Anyway, from the test numbers against the competition (March, Kahles etc) the Premier came out as an inferior optical product with a higher price tag.

I suspect the staff at several of the 'newer' german optical companies play musical chairs in terms of employment duration. The product quality my be equally variable. Only the big boys like Swarovski, Zeiss or Leica for example seem to maintain quality control standards, many others seem to do tuesday morning and friday afternoon qc standards

Archived