footwear

bramble basher

hi all i am in the market for a new pair of hunting boots been trolling the net for about an hour so thought id'e ask here what you all wear on your feet and best places to get them from not to botherd about the cost (within reason) but must be comfy, waterproof,vibram sole,and last

cheers b.b

hi mate i have had a pair of gronells for nine years now, leather vibram soles and gortex, there like wearing slippers cant say enough about them,they have been well tested in all conditions and come up trumps fantastic boots. dave.

I have used Matterhorns for the last few years , their full gortex , insulated and have vibram soles but they aint cheap and are not the lightest thing on your feet but they are like slippers to wear, if you go on line on ebay there is an american outfit who will send them over and there half the price of what they are here,(£220)

Used the Matterhorns for years and have always loved them, but changed to Le Chameau Mouflons, ( short and long) and they are brilliant and reasonably priced, I have not seen anything better including the expensive ones. The comfort has to be experienced to fully appreciate how good they are, leave the Matterhorns well behind and the water resistance is better too.

Got a pair of the Lacrosse cordura camo boots last year for summer use and they are feather light, very good and cheap too.

I'll second the Lundhags. :lol:

If you don't want or like Goretex these are a good option.

A friend has had a pair for 15 years. I had a comfy pair of Karrimor KSB's. Every time out when wet my feet were soaking his were bone dry. I thought £185 was a bit excessive for boots so kept putting it off. We did a trip for 3 days and my feet went soft with being wet and started hurting :lol: . His were spot on.

I decided there and then to sod the expense. To add to the expense I had to buy the wife some cheap :lol: boots to keep her happy.

I have the medium height as this seem's the best compromise. They do a high leg if you need it but this is more inconvenient getting it on and off and your ankles feel more constrained. There is a model lower than mine (scout I think) but it lacks padding around the leg rim and having tried them on I felt it would rub in that area. They are about £150.

The boots are retreated with a special soap, a bit like saddle soap with a barbecue sauce smell, this is £6 a time but lasts a while. Otherwise the leather can dry out and crack over a period of time.

I use to find prior to these boots crossing streams or puddles didn't cause wet feet as reliably as long wet grass. Sometimes this is more difficult as you can side step puddles but fields of grass are harder to jump across :lol:

Now I have no such problems.

I have on more than one occasion stepped over logs or stood in shallow puddles to find the depth is up to my crotch. Yet with gaiters on and getting out promptly I have not even got wet socks.

For the ultimate water protection you want these with Yeti gaiters which is what I now use. Excellent combination only downside is the price to consider at just under £250.

Your choice of (only) supplier will be Penrith survival on the A66, they do posted as well.

I am not linked to this product or company, just a happy customer.

Were I to lose them I wouldn't hesitate to buy again.

My votes for Danner Boots, made in the USA, I've had them 10yrs now, they take a bit to brake in, but they fit like a glove. Gortex/Thinsulate, I sure they have vibram soles, cracking boot.

Every now & then I coat them with Dubbing, makes a difference, keep the leather nice & supple, + add's to the waterproofing. They weren't cheap, got stung off customs aswell.....B*****D's.......but when you work it out over the 10yrs, it's only £20 a year, & plenty life in them yet.

BJ.

Having had Meindls, which I put through hell and back, recently got a pair of Lunhags...fantastic! You need to put faith in the boot as there isnt a waterproof lining but they are waterproof. They require regular waxing to keep the wet out but its no big deal.

Great boots, both Meindls and Lundys.

• 2 weeks later...
hi all i am in the market for a new pair of hunting boots been trolling the net for about an hour so thought id'e ask here what you all wear on your feet and best places to get them from not to botherd about the cost (within reason) but must be comfy, waterproof,vibram sole,and last

cheers b.b

I wear Irish Setter, #851, high leg, goretex lined, kangaroo hide. After about a year I found they leaked a little at the toes, spoke to Footwear Fetish and they said send them back and they would exchange them. They sent me a new pair and because of the good condition of my old ones they said if I wanted to pay the postage I could have them back if I wanted. The new ones are still in the box, I put my old ones on at 06.00 every day and they come off when I go to bed, they are more comfy than any other footwear I own. These are 600gram thinsulate lined and I've never had cold feet, I also wear them all summer without problem. I've had these for a few years now and totally abuse them and they don't look like dying anytime soon. At £224 they're not cheap, but you can import them from the U.S considerably cheaper. I wear these for everything and have never regretted coughing up the scary original asking price.

Break in time was zero. Not Vibram sole but an equally good one in my opinion.

Regards Pete.

I have a pair of hunter high leg lace up leather boots that are robust waterproof and comfartable. I also use a pair of the new army issue pro boot which is a copy of the Lowa boot with the vibram sole, they are outstanding. The old Army pro boot which is a copy of the Danner/Materhorn is not a bad boot either. To be honest for most of my stalking and some of it is on fairly rough hill terrain I wear a pair of Muck Boots I can walk for miles in them and never get a blister, they are comfy and warm.

Dave

Bramblebasher what you really need to do is take some of the suggestions off here and go and try them on.

You'll know straight away if that option is good or bad. Its a bit of a pain but without comparing the makes on your feet you could make an expensive mistake.

A point I was told is to always buy your boots in the afternoon as apparently the average foot can swell 1/2 size in the course of the day. :rolleyes: You might get away with this on some boots depending on the last used.

A lot of good options suggested here but definetly Lundhags for me.

Archived