Minimum OAL

jungle_re

Hoping for a sanity test so sorry if this is a bone question but I'm being extra cautious for my first venture into reloading.

So how important is the minimum OAL?

The lee book I have gives different minimums for each powder at a given bully weight as does the lyman manual I have: both of which the factory privi ammo I had was a fair bit under and I didn't have problems (other than being pants). The nosler manual doesn't have a minimum OAL which makes it look like its not that important else surely the data would be present, or am I just missing it?

I have some rounds which are seating 0.06" below the min shown in the Lee book min (the factory ammo was 0.04"). Will these be ok or should I pull them and go again?

Cheers Will

put simply for a given powder weight the further in the case the bullet the higher the pressure, this does not mean that this is unsafe. But it may be by the time you get to the max load for that powder bullet combo.

thats sounds reasonable these rounds start at min loading and increase in 0.3gr increments. ill go ahead and use them keeping an eye on the pressure signs.

cheers guys

Archived