38/357 for vermin?

shotgun sam

I was asked a question tonight by a friend at the gun club which I did not know the answer to so I said I will try to find out for him.

He has a 38/357 under leaver that He wants to use for vermin control and possibly roe deer on His own farm is it just a case of asking for a variation for vermin and deer and humane dispatch?

Sam

Yes. I have a customer who has a .38/357 certificated for fox , and thats in west yorkshire, which is even more of a bloody miracle.... :lol:

I was asked a question tonight by a friend at the gun club which I did not know the answer to so I said I will try to find out for him.

He has a 38/357 under leaver that He wants to use for vermin control and possibly roe deer on His own farm is it just a case of asking for a variation for vermin and deer and humane dispatch?

Sam

Do you know the Scottish legal muzzle energy/velocity for culling Roe deer? Just a suggestion, but I don't think you'll get it with a .357 mag! :blush:

I have a 44 mag for vermin and deer, plenty of calibre no dispute with the capabilities however as mentioned above I take many less shots than I have the possibility of doing, always overly cautious about the ricochets. Should be no problem with the 357/38, although I'd advise your friend to get some experience with the field shooting of the lever action with plenty of backstop before taking any live shots, the rounds do react entirely differently against a grass field background or tree stump than the sand bags of a range!

I have a 44 mag for vermin and deer, plenty of calibre no dispute with the capabilities however as mentioned above I take many less shots than I have the possibility of doing, always overly cautious about the ricochets. Should be no problem with the 357/38, although I'd advise your friend to get some experience with the field shooting of the lever action with plenty of backstop before taking any live shots, the rounds do react entirely differently against a grass field background or tree stump than the sand bags of a range!

I thought it didn't make the legal bit here in England either? Fancied something similar on open sights but not being conversant in pistol calibres always a fleeting thought that passed over

You are ok for muntjac and CWD (minimum cal of not less than 22 and muzzle energy of not less than 1000ftlb), some factory 44 mag loads however do come in at mid 8's, Winchester and hornady (slightly more into the 900's), if using factory ammo you need to be looking towards the 180grain remi's, or similar with an appropriately expanding or deforming bullet of course. Can't quite get the fps requirement for roe in Scotland and all other deer are not nearly on the list. It would be for the shooter to be accountable for the legality of their rifle and ammunition if challenged I would assume, so certainly no one should rely on the general 44 mag being fit for deer all round that's not the case. There are of course ethical discussions to be had in additional to legal implications of being under the 1000ft lb requirements if anyone put theirselves in that position

As DL says, there is a big issue about meeting the Scottish Deer Acts' ballistic requirements, even for roe, with the 357. 1,000 ft/lb ME is just 'on' with an 18-inch barrel levergun and 110 or 125gn JHPs or JSPs, but most loads struggle to get above 2,200 MV with 110s and 2,000 fps with 125s. I can't see any way that you'd get 2,450 fps, the legal MV minimum. Given the cartridge's small case capacity and low expansion ratio, I doubt if longer barrels would give any benefits either - and who wants to carry a 26-inch barrel Marlin 'Cowboy Limited' or similar in the woods anyway?

Even 44 Mag struggles with the MV requirement, and I remember Colin Greenwood's Guns Review magazine articles years back on using the .444 Marlin on deer where a not very suitable (too lightly constructed) 180gn bullet had to be loaded if the rifle was used north of the border. Hornady makes an excellent 265gn JSP designed expressly for the 444 on deer size game, but it has no chance of achieving that velocity.

Archived