old sako 75

i guys i joined this forum around a year ago and have learned a lot about barrel life,triggers and a lot more to be honest,the thing is i have an old 75 sako 6ppc, its been bedded in a mcmillan stock and some work on the trigger, i must have put easily above four thousand rounds through it and it still shoots under half inch at 110 yards,i know it will not win a benchrest competition but do you guys have old guns the same as i know most of you rebarrel them after around a thousand shots,cheers simon,,,

if its not broke dont fix it

i only rebarrel when ive shot one out or its not competitive enough for my needs with that rifle

as for a fox rifle they will go forever as long as they deliver a decent enough group at your chosen distance to both kill humainly and shoot where you expect them to shoot

if its not broke dont fix it

i only rebarrel when ive shot one out or its not competitive enough for my needs with that rifle

as for a fox rifle they will go forever as long as they deliver a decent enough group at your chosen distance to both kill humainly and shoot where you expect them to shoot

ye cheers pal, it is my fox rifle to be honest thats why i hav,nt done any thing with it, i just wonder some times when will it shoot all over as yet it does still group,

I,ve had knowledge of two Sako 75,s in PPC one of them was mine which went to about 3500 rounds from memory before loosing it ie hard to clean throat and grouping that only lasted about a dozen rounds and then went to pieces relative to its former brilliance.I think my old friend Varminter had similar barrel life from his and then got it rebarrelled.Many times wish I had rebarrelled mine and it was still in the safe!!!dohhh,,,,,,,,,Tempted to have my 223 RPA [bolt refaced] and barrelled in PPC one day,,mmmm?

Have never had or seen the need to rebarrel anything in my cals at 1000 rounds but then none of them are barrel burners.Comp rifles and their owners need to have everything on their side to win where slight deterioration in performance is not acceptable both on paper and psychologically I guess.

Not quite an answer to your post I suppose but just picked up on "old Sako 75" ,,,,yeah miss you baby,,,,,,,,,,,,

S,

some new 6PPC factory rifles would not agg a lot less than .4 or .5 for twenty five shots,BR.That's under excellent shooting position and rest-if yours is still a half minute of angle,it's a long way from needing a rebarrel as a foxing rifle,even if as you sort of imply it's not quite what it was.It's still plenty good enough,unless you shoot very small foxes a long way away.Other factors will contribute more variability anyhow.Rifles generally lose their precision fairly gradually,and this is only an isssue for competitive BR. Maybe it's otherwise another case of buying minor improvement,rather than skill,but to be fair,enhanced precision is always a good thing,but like an extra 50 fps,it isn't likely to make much difference to a 150 yard fox outcome.PPC's are not serious barrel burners,and losing .2 moa isn't critical.(except in BR,of course,or very long range-which the 6PPC can't really cope with anyhow.)Even new,one of my Sako's would tend to put one shot out just a tad anyhow-one reason they didn't cost £3000.

Gbal

thanks for replying guys,being honest when i think back i may be do get around ten to fifteen shots around the half inch, then the groups do open up,yet years ago i did get more shots with the same accuracy,but soon as i clean it,its back to the half inch again which as said for fox is bang on..i do still shoot it at two hundred yards and it does under the inch which is still good for fox,but thats five shots with two or 3 of them some times touching,i have had this sako for above ten years now and if i had to sell all my guns and keep just one i think now you all know which one it would be,cheers simon....

S,

some new 6PPC factory rifles would not agg a lot less than .4 or .5 for twenty five shots,BR.That's under excellent shooting position and rest-if yours is still a half minute of angle,it's a long way from needing a rebarrel as a foxing rifle,even if as you sort of imply it's not quite what it was.It's still plenty good enough,unless you shoot very small foxes a long way away.Other factors will contribute more variability anyhow.Rifles generally lose their precision fairly gradually,and this is only an isssue for competitive BR. Maybe it's otherwise another case of buying minor improvement,rather than skill,but to be fair,enhanced precision is always a good thing,but like an extra 50 fps,it isn't likely to make much difference to a 150 yard fox outcome.PPC's are not serious barrel burners,and losing .2 moa isn't critical.(except in BR,of course,or very long range-which the 6PPC can't really cope with anyhow.)Even new,one of my Sako's would tend to put one shot out just a tad anyhow-one reason they didn't cost £3000.

Gbal

you are right Gbal, i use a 58 grain v.max with a hunting load realy and i just lie in a field where i shoot of a bipod,but i still think if i used may be 68 or is it 69 grain burgers with a target load off sand bags that old babey of mine would very easily do under half inch for fun,i could be wrong as well cheers simon...

Archived