Berger 30cal bullets for 1000 yds 185 or 210 gn?

Nocrimp

Looking for some help and advice...

I have been shooting Lapua 155 scenars in my 30 inch 1 in 11 Bartlein..

At 300 yds they are stunning but at 1000 they are all over the place so looking for a better bullet with less wind drift.

I see there are 185 and 210 gn on offer from Berger with Boat tail / VLD / hybrid ??

Thinking of N150, N550 or possibly even RL17>

Does anyone have any experience they would be kind enough to share.. I can't afford to buy boxes of these to try.

If anyone has some in stock that I could buy (say 20 oir 30) I would be very grateful.

Best regards and thanks in advance for any posts or PM's that help me along the path to wisdom :-)

Gerry

Gerry, have a look at the Bullet Velocity Variation (2) thread. There's an interesting post from Laurie about the 185gn LRBT Bergers, including a couple of links.

Pm me about the bullets. We can come to a deal about the bullets, I've 200+ of both the Berger 185gn LRBTs & OTMs.

• 2 weeks later...

There are more choices than just the 185 or 210...

The 185 Berger is a very good bullet, but your barrel may work well with Sierra 190s, Sierra or Berger 200s, even maybe Berger 215s. There are further variants of Hybrid, LRBT, TOTM, VLD within these bullet weights as well.

The problem at the moment is getting hold of any of them (a lot are on backorder) and having enough time and money to try them all out to find which suit your barrel.

Shooting just 20 or 30 of each may not give you enough information to decide if they are worth sticking with. You'll need to work up a load for each one and then shoot several 5-shot (preferably 10-shot) groups with each trying different seating depths to discover the best load for your rifle.

If money is tight, just go for a bullet known to work well in most barrels at 1000 (like the 185 Berger), otherwise you could embark on a very expensive and time-consuming journey which ultimately might lead to a dead-end!

There are more choices than just the 185 or 210...

The 185 Berger is a very good bullet, but your barrel may work well with Sierra 190s, Sierra or Berger 200s, even maybe Berger 215s. There are further variants of Hybrid, LRBT, TOTM, VLD within these bullet weights as well.

The problem at the moment is getting hold of any of them (a lot are on backorder) and having enough time and money to try them all out to find which suit your barrel.

Shooting just 20 or 30 of each may not give you enough information to decide if they are worth sticking with. You'll need to work up a load for each one and then shoot several 5-shot (preferably 10-shot) groups with each trying different seating depths to discover the best load for your rifle.

If money is tight, just go for a bullet known to work well in most barrels at 1000 (like the 185 Berger), otherwise you could embark on a very expensive and time-consuming journey which ultimately might lead to a dead-end!

Tell all about it! I have the problem, I have barely manage to scrape the last box of LRBT in the uk and now I just got wait for them to be back to continue shooting. What a frustrating nightmare!

Archived