.243 to 7mm'08

JC275

I have bags full of once fired .243 cases but need 7mm'08. Can I easily form one into the other? I don't have the 7mm'08 dies yet. Thanks, JC.

243 through 260rem neck die,then through 7-08 (FL,at least first time) seems a possibility ,though I have not done it....

Your necking up a MM however I should just purchase 7-08 rem brass and be done with it. I had both for quite a while and also a .308, it got real confusing. if you must alter brass I should run .308 down and watch for thick necks

I got thick necks and over pressure early doors when necking down from .308 so ended up neck turning.

Once fired lap and a K&N kit still worked out cheaper than Nosler brass and Im getting very good results

243 to 7mm is a big step-up and may cause problems, especially with many times fired brass, unless you anneal the necks/shoulders. Even then, you'll likely produce a 'doughnut' at the base of the neck caused by moving the neck-shoulder junction position. Before Lapua started making .260 Rem brass, it was common to use the company's very good 243 cases and neck them up in a single pass - but it almost invariably produced the 'doughnut', a thicker ring of metal that intrudes on the inside walls. If your COAL is such that the bullet shank is above the 'doughnut', no problem - but if you push the bullet through it (easily felt on the press handle by a large increase in pressure needed towards the end of the stroke), it usually causes a large increase in group size.

Archived