Sako Quad Range. 17HMR

wabbit evaporator

No,no,no! nothing is certain in terms or ricochet. The HMR can and will and has for me many times, account for it and allow for it or maybe live to regret it. Indeed I recon I can produce them more or less to order in Sedge grass

Nothing is certain in life, never mind ricochet. But there are always better or worse scenarios. The .22lr is notorious for ricochets. I've had them (subsonics BTW) go clean through a rabbit and still howl off in the distance. That's a 40 grain lump of lead going God knows where. The HMR. OTOH, is 17 grains, and at the muzzle is spinning at about 183,500 rpm! Any deformation on the bullet at that speed is likely to tear it to bits in very short order (and make a very convincing noise while it goes). Any bounce will likely make it about as ballistically efficient as a potato crisp. While I agree that nothing is certain with ricochets, I think the HMR drastically reduces the associated risks.

to be honest I get few issues with the .22 these days unless I shoot into suspect ground (read hard or stoney). The HMR has created me issues, I can say from direct experience it will travel a lot further on deflection from lightish cover which is often unseen and unaccounted for, if the bullet broke up on contacting sedge grass it wouldn't be any use on game vermin- certainly not foxes. Have had very balistically capable ricochets out of HMR and it didn't make the noise of a 40 grn lump of squished lead when traveling around 300 yds.

My current chain of thought is if ricochets might be an issue is use a shotgun or air gun

Archived