6mm-284 barrel length

Ro6.5

It doesn't take much barrel to burn the powder, but it might to utilize the gasses the combustion produces! The first guy I know of that wildcattred the 284 I met in the early late 70's. He was a gunsmith in Albuquerque, New Mexico. He recommended 24" barrels for the 6-284.~Andrew

You should burn the powder, and still have approx 3750fps. It's a bit of a handicap to a hot rod cartridge, but its your barrel and your choice.

You should burn the powder, and still have approx 3750fps. It's a bit of a handicap to a hot rod cartridge, but its your barrel and your choice.

It's doing 4025fps now. Will I really loose 275fps by cutting off 4inch?

Yes, the more overbore the cartridge the more it suffers with loss of barrel length. From 30"-26" in a 6-284 velocity loss is 25-30fps/inch, between 26-24 your losing more like 50fps, below 24 it's more like 65-70fps

I estimated your velocity at 3970fps, so you may end up more like 3800fps.

I don't honestly think the practical use of the rifle for foxing etc will be impaired, it'll still be a 350yd point and shoot type of setup.

Yes, the more overbore the cartridge the more it suffers with loss of barrel length. From 30"-26" in a 6-284 velocity loss is 25-30fps/inch, between 26-24 your losing more like 50fps, below 24 it's more like 65-70fps

I estimated your velocity at 3970fps, so you may end up more like 3800fps.

I don't honestly think the practical use of the rifle for foxing etc will be impaired, it'll still be a 350yd point and shoot type of setup.

I see! May not bother! Don't see the point in having that caliber going slow!

Archived