degreasing barrel

Hales Smut

How to degrease a non-stainless barrel before shooting? Is it safe to degrease the barrel with a brush and some gasoline or acetone before you leave for the range or stalking? Not to agressive on the barrel? Rust ?

Coming back for a day out I put some WD40 or Remoil in the barrel and put the rifle, barrel down on a newspaper overnight. First shot on the next outing ( on paper ) is always a bit funny. Fine on paper but not on deer/boar.

Would a short clean with a VFG patch and gas or acetone put the first shot where it should be?

I use a pull through to knock out carbon etc then pass a patch of gun oil down the barrel. then a patch or two with meths on followed by two or three dry. Shoots to zero after that. But you need to check it works for your rifle first.

i have a border barrel and i clean after every outing with bore shine and bronze brush.the first round on a clean barrel goes exactly were the last round went :D.just patch till dry.if i'm not using it for a week or 2 then i oil the barrel and just pyt a few patches down before i shoot to remove any residue then first shot is smack on.no degreasing

I always put a cleaned barrel back in the safe, if it didn't get shot I just run a dry patch through when gun is at room temp to dry then an oiled patched through to store. Thing is sometimes you plan on going out the following day then don't the weather might have turned bad etc. then the gun gets forgotten about.

Before shooting you always know the bore has a little oil in it on picking it out the safe so I ALWAYS dry patch it a few times then run a meths soaked patch through, leave it 5 mins then dry patch it. I have not a single CCB return to zero issue like this.

Crud in a barrel attracts moisture, chemical reactions, hardening of deposits and corrosion. If you feel this is wrong just stop for a minute and consider at one time it was common belief that the next bullet down the bore cleaned the barrel (some still believe that BS). To get total 100% CCB return to zero every time you will need to re-create a state of dirtiness, this cannot be done. However you can replicate clean.

I have no firm knowledge of the likes of acetone etc. though Meths is not an issue and is very available and very cheap, white spirit can and will lead to corrosion that I do know.

Long term storage and I use a thicker oil and pay special attention to the chamber. Take great care that oil doesn't get into woodwork etc though, Oil on a dirty barrel? Sounds a bad idea to me as it will need a mega clean to remove the resultant sludge to get back to a repeatable CCB

Archived