Exchanging/disposing of a rifle - newbie question

MrCetrizine

First of all, hello.

I started shooting last year and quickly fell for it and bought a cheap second hand .22LR from the club (kept at the club) to make my own.

Now I have been shooting for a while, have my FAC and have also moved on to a lovely Tikka T3 sporter in .223, I want to replace the very basic, tired old .22 with another.

I only have a slot on my ticket for one .22LR so what's the best way of swapping the old one for a shiny new one?

It was cheap and has served its purpose well so I don't need or want to get any money out of it.

Thanks for any advice.

You need a variation, free (one rifle off one on of the same calibre)

Take the rifle to a shop and ask them to dispose of it, they sign your FAc to say you've handed them it (assuming its worthless)

Then inform your Licensing Authority you've disposed of the rifle and ask for a variation to acquire another in same calibre.

Once you've bought the new rifle (after variation comes through), inform them of the purchase within 7 days.

In my part of the country the FAC of the person disposing/selling the rifle is not signed by either party. Instead a letter within 7 days to the FEO from the seller stating the rifle has been disposed of to whoever with full details and a 1:1 variation attached, once it is approved start looking for a new one.

You have to do a one for one variation. So either sell or take to a RFD and get receipt to say they've taken it off you. Then send in a FAC application form with your FAC it is free. If you're not sure ring you're Firearms dept they'll send you the form and tell you which bit to fill in.

Basically you have to take one off to put one on.

The advice given is OK-Ronin eg is detailed.It is not a problematic proceedure but you have to get it right.

On any such issue,the definitive source of advice is your FLO:they are the legal issuers,and you will have to do it their way,which is usually pretty sensible,anyhow: and there is no comeback on you at all-any other proceedures-a few of which may have worked for others-is so fraught with potential hassle,at least,that you should not even consider them.

This is a straightforward proceedure,relatively free of any 'interpretation' issues.(in more complex cases,you might need the clarification that eg BASC can provide,over 'interpretation'-members sometimes overlook the complexity of individual circumstances,and to some extent,differences in FLO interpretations,but not in your case here.)

Ask your FLO.

Comply.

Enjoy.

Gbal

Archived