I'm new to reloading

Jimmy 84

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to forum and new to reloading. I live in the suffolk area and I've been shooting with rifles for years now but am looking for better ammo than factory rounds so i've decided to reload.

I've brought some reloading equipment and a manual but no powder.

i've read some of the manual but i still have a lot to learn before i start making rounds. I have 3 rifles but i only have die's for my 22/250 and 270win.

I would appriciate any advise you could give me on the subject, i'm in no rush to make rounds as i think i need to get a better understanding before i do this.

Jimmy

If you can get a chronograph, I picked one up for about £120 money well spent. It will take a lot of guesswork out of what your rounds are doing. ie; speeds over book max for the load are likely to be over pressure.

keep good records they always come in handy later.

Reloading can be and is to many a hobby in its own right. However it takes time to become proficient.

In the first instance read your new reloading manual, you need to understand exactly what you are doing and the guide will be invaluable. Also there are some great stickies in the reloading section on snipers hide, read through those too. Stick to the basics in the first instance and stay safe.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to forum and new to reloading. I live in the suffolk area and I've been shooting with rifles for years now but am looking for better ammo than factory rounds so i've decided to reload.

I've brought some reloading equipment and a manual but no powder.

i've read some of the manual but i still have a lot to learn before i start making rounds. I have 3 rifles but i only have die's for my 22/250 and 270win.

I would appriciate any advise you could give me on the subject, i'm in no rush to make rounds as i think i need to get a better understanding before i do this.

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy, I had to learn mostly from the Internet as I had no one to help me out. But if you spend enough time reading and watching it's really easy to produce really consistent ammo. Their are few things you need to know before you start reloading. Reloading is not necessarily a money saving project but also most of all a accuarate way to shoot. Which from I read is what your intention are.

Their are a few questions you got to ask yourself:

How accuarate is your rifle?

What do you use your rifle for? I.e target, Benchrest, varminting, stalking.

How meticulous you are?

Local resource for components? I.e reloading gear, bullet head, powders, primers, cases.

Have you got a good test area for zeroing and load development?

Have you got time? ( never rush in reloading, it's a major health hazard if something goes wrong!!!!!)

As you can see this all helps to achieve your goal. Depending on what you want to achieve you'll need either competition or basic out of a kit reloading gear. Spud is really good setting you up something that will suit your necessity and you shall be able to discuss the best way to learn.

Good luck mate

Hi Jimmy,,,,,,Lots of good advice above,,,,,,,,I would second the advice to find a "competent reloader" to help you with this,,,,and I mean competent its a serious and very rewarding "hobby",,,,,,You,ll learn truck loads from the right mentor,,,,,,,go find one ,,take care,,Onehole.

Thanks for your advise everyone.

and Spud i might have to take you up on that offer. I've deprimed/ resized some cases and cleaned them up and i seated a couple of heads just to try a few things but no powder or primers, and i've already run into problems. The neck on the case has come out with a rippled affect on it where the bullet head goes in?? I think ive got alot to learn!

jimmy

send us a pm and illpm my home number , abnd well get you sorted

#

Thanks for your advise everyone.

and Spud i might have to take you up on that offer. I've deprimed/ resized some cases and cleaned them up and i seated a couple of bullets just to try a few things but no powder or primers, and i've already run into problems. The neck on the case has come out with a rippled affect on it where the bullet head goes in?? I think ive got alot to learn!

jimmy

Yep ,,,,you have a major misunderstanding of whats happening here,,,,not being rude but you really do need a mentor take Spud up on his offer please!!!!!! kind regards Onehole.

Thanks Spud pm sent.

And don't worry people I wouldn't dream of putting powder or primers in untill I fully understand what I'm doing. I can see how dangerous this could be. And I will keep you all posted on how I get on

Jimmy

BIG ASK

I have known Jimmy and his Father for over 20 years and can vouch for Jim's honesty and integrity and his attitude to firearms safety.

Jim contacted me on Sunday evening and told me he had bought some reloading gear and that he wanted to get started making accurate loads for his two rifles and asked my advice. As I am currently living in mid Wales me popping over to him or him coming to me is not an option, so I suggested he joined the site and put in a request for someone who is local to him and who is competent in reloading to perhaps allow him to visit them, or them come to him and show him how to set up his dies, measure OAL, explain signs of pressure etc etc and ideally let him see the correct reloading process in person.

I am still new to the game but have been extremely lucky in having Rabbit Fingers go through the reloading ropes with me step by step, with practical demonstrations as well as constant phone calls, E-Mails and advice, and I found that I understood what he was trying to teach me better doing it this way rather than trying to learn from scratch only out of a book.

So is there anybody living close enough to Jim who is prepared to take up the challenge and mentor him in these early stages ?

I know he would appreciate this very much.

Thanks for reading.

froggy

Archived