Best size bushing to use?

MadSpaniel

What size bushings do you lads use for hunting/varminting loads?

I use Redding 'S' type dies and have always follwed the 'Measure a loaded round and deduct 0.001" rule'.

However, I have never really thought if this rule is best practice for field shooting, where you may be loading/unloading etc.

I'd be interested to know what you guys use.

Unless you neck turn your cases, i usually find that .001 undersize bushings can lead to inconsistent neck tension, i usually go at .002 or .003 depending on available sizes in stock.

If you go too light brass can relax over time, depends on the metallurgy of the brass and how used it has been. don't want too loose a grip for field use, not funny when you loose a bullet to the lands and drop a load of powder through your action. Try and get the one you think from measuring then another one tighter still by 2

I use Lapua brass (consistent necks mostly) and have always found .001 bushing less than loaded round OD gives plenty of neck tension....can't shift the bullet when pressing against wooden block....not too scientific but its practical and effective as a test.

Archived