Barnard Trigger unit for Tikka T3

Ive had on test for a short while, one of two examples of the new Barnard Trigger for the Tikka T3

The trigger unit is very well engineered - machined from solid steel and blued.

It is adjustable for length of pull, release weight and over-travel

Fitting to the T3 is pretty straightforwards - just undo the single allen bolt holding the original unit in place and swap over to the new unit, not forgetting to fit the magazine spring in the assembly.

A small adjustment will be needed (with either file of dremel) to the plastic bottom metal as the Barnard trigger blade is wider than the Tikka unit.

A simple job when done with care.

I found the replacement trigger offered more adjustment for short and long trigger fingers and had certainly a lighter release than the standard unit would go to.

One drawback is that the Barnard offers no facility for a safety - the rifle is either loaded with a round in the chamber and unsafe or not loaded and safe.

This isn't necessarily a problem in a static shooting scenario.

Where would I use the new trigger?

Custom build based on a T3 - yes, the T3 action makes a very good donor for a custom build on a budget.

Those thinking of a long range vermin gun, a budget F Class rifle or target based rifle perhaps, the trigger would be ideal.

The Barnard Trigger unit is brought into the UK by Dolphin Rifles - Mik Mak is a member on here and can answer questions on delivery, fitting and cost.

Im pretty impressed with this as a replacement to the factory original and its refreshing to see a company whose business is target orientated high end actions think outside the box and make something to up the T3's ante.

The trigger wont appeal to all T3 users, but it certainly has many plus's over the standard unit.

DSCN3694_zps76698843.jpg

DSCN3695_zps0bb2b3f4.jpg

I also tried the unit in a Sako 75 - it worked in the example I had here at the time (an action 3), but a magazine fed rifle would require a modified magazine spring to retain the mag in place.

The unit does not fit Tikka 590/5 and 690/5 models as the sear hook up is in the wrong position.

• 4 weeks later...

I've fitted the other one of the two examples to my M595..................it just needed a 0.4mm aluminium shim to go between the trigger box and the receiver plus a bit of Dremelling to the rear of the trigger guard.

A brilliant bit of kit, highly recommended.

H/man

Archived