JUST CHECKING THE ZERO

nemasis243

Just had a spin in the truck down to a local farm just to check the zero on two of my rifles , its better than saying to the girlfriend im off shooting again B)

I stuck the 17HMR in and my old faithfull 243 as I am out tonight on a new farm which I checked out yesterday and the farmer says theres a few charlie about there. :o

I stopped the truck about 100yrs from a cattle feeder and sat there for half hour and shot about a dozen crows , I must say that little round is a demon. :D:P

09022008037.jpg

I then went out to a spot were I can get a bit more distance and had a nice shot at a crow at 210yrds, I must say they dont look pretty after a 58grner gives em a slap, the 243 with the 58grn Vmax is very flat out to 280yrds so its put the dot on him and sqeeze :D

Will let you know how I get on if the fog dosent come in tonight :o09022008036.jpg

Hi Nem.

Your crows seem to be remarkably stupid !

What are they Carrions, Rooks or Jackdaws ?

When I shoot one of mine [Carrions] the rest fly off, assuming more than one was present, and may return with some friends to circle making a lot of noise then disappear. On one or two of my farms I have a local Buzzard which soon appears to scavenge.

In my case it is one shot and on to the next farm. Over the last 3 years I have shot 504 Carrion Crows [plus 20 this year], probably all the stupid ones and in the process educated most of the others.

On one problem mountain farm at lambing time I leave my motor at the farm and get him to drive me around in his as they are used to him being about and not getting their arses shot off.

HWH.

Its a mix of all three, what I tend to do is every time I shoot one I pick it up and move it out the way , there are that many flying round his yard it isnt long before another couple land on one of the feeders :unsure:

Aye.

They don`t like to see their pals ventilated but my Buzzards think its wonderful judging by the speed of appearance after a shot is fired.

DSCN0306.jpg

What are you using to spoil the day :unsure:

Im 243 as well with58grn vmax- 43grns vit140, Lap brass and fed gold primers,2.604 OAL. If you havent tried them try that load I have set up a few 243 rifles for people and this round shoots very well in them all. ITs very flat going out at 3680fps. hits like a brick.

Nice going lads, I only had to potter out the back door today, there is a big ash tree next door about 30 yds behind my shed and it was full of carrions young and old ( obviously a wife swapping party) and with the precharged air rifle ( silenced) three of them got so excited they fell out of the tree :unsure: by that time their mates had got well wound up and were flying round making a great racket, after a minute or so two silly ones came back into the tree and just had to join the party on the ground :blink:

By this time I noticed the air was getting low ( 3rd pellet fell out the end of the barrel!)so I went in and filled it up , came out again and all the crows had gone, but two magpies were very interested in the crows on the ground, so much so they failed to hear the 18gr pellets sneaking up from behind :huh: .

What a morning and still in the slippers so to speak, I have to say the HW100 is so quiet that they dont twig whats going on until too late.

Redfox

PS next door came round ( knows nothing at all) and asked if I wanted them to eat!!!, I said no I couldnt think of a recipe that would make them palatable, so he binned them.

Archived