seven days???

triggersqueezer

i sold a rifle on sat 27 apr i was a bit un-decided on what to go for but i hand delivered my notification and 1 for 1 variation on fri the 3 rd so 6 days later.turns out the police are not going to charge me on this occasion but because it was a weekend and bank holiday they did not get it in their office till tuesday so i broke the law :ph34r:

did all you guys realise this was the case?i thought seven days meant seven days :huh: perhaps this might be worth mentioning during the firearms interview.

They are trying it on I think. I had a similar situation, all of my own making. In N Yorks we have 7 days and I collected a new rifle on the monday. There was a problem and I took it back for repair. This caused me not to consider the notification and I remembered on the sunday following. Monday was a bank holiday. I emailed them, mailed a copy and hand delivered a copy to police HQ. I couldnt speak to anyone on the Monday so was terrified at the prospect of what they would say on the Tuesday, technically 9 days later.

They couldnt have been more laid back and told me that as my email had been received within the 7 days all was well. I have since had it confirmed that e mail notifications are fine. What days they work is not relevant,.

I always email them a letter to report the sale then follow it up with one in the post.

I did one this morning for a rifle I sold last week, just in case the post office are a bit slow

Mark

do you mean -that you have to notify them within 7 working days as to the sale or transaction of a fire arm-?

i have gone 10+days before today without notifying them and never had a word about it im with W.YORKS..

I dont think it is law-just a guideline -i maybe wrong.

You could try reading your FACs.

The relevant section on mine at least is near the end: Notes A (( If you i) transfer..ii)purchase....etc))

Gbal

Ref the above, mine also states the same, but does not specifically give any time period to notify the police if you acquire or purchase a firearm.

But I have just picked up a spare barrel yesterday and will notify Northumbria police within 7 days to be safe.

Ref the above, mine also states the same, but does not specifically give any time period to notify the police if you acquire or purchase a firearm.

But I have just picked up a spare barrel yesterday and will notify Northumbria police within 7 days to be safe.

Correct,Les.

I didn't add explicitly,that the FAC goes on to say

"It is an offence not to notify.Details of the notifications required are available from your local police."

It is possibe this wording is intended to allow your police some discretion/flexibility in the time limit they impose.This might partly explain different members' experiences.

But it is clear that the onus is on the FAC holder to find out,and inform within the time limit.

(Please,no moaning about different FLO proceedures etc-this probably works to our advantage-do you really want it standardised on one size fits all-probonably 7 days,registered/recorded.Just phone your FLO and find out and/or inform within a few days.Most of us don't sell a rifle very often.)

Gbal

If you have to inform within a certain time frame then I am sure the court will take the time and date the thing went in the post as the datum not the date it was received or the date they opened it. Effectively I think arguing this point in time was when you acted, is someone saying they put them all on the system same day as arrival? Coz I know that sure is not done from personal experience!

Now if some fool wants to waste more taxpayers money trying for a prosecution on the above situation........................ No sounds like a jobs-worth with a few superiority issues to me and another reason we should fight increases in price until the service and cost efficiencies are correctly in hand. This is a simple process that can be done online

The relevant section on mine at least is near the end: Notes A (( If you i) transfer..ii)purchase....etc))

Gbal

yep 7 days my point was to warn people that i did what i thought was correct in 6 and could have potentialy been taken to court

Gbal

if you read it as is-

under the "notes section" you are required to inform plod but there is no time scale

the only time scale"7 days applies to anyone who is a registered firearms dealer or entitled to possess the firearm without a certificate.

Gbal

if you read it as is-

under the "notes section" you are required to inform plod but there is no time scale

the only time scale"7 days applies to anyone who is a registered firearms dealer or entitled to possess the firearm without a certificate.

yep 7 days my point was to warn people that i did what i thought was correct in 6 and could have potentialy been taken to court

as i say -no time scale the local firearms dept cannot make up rules and regs to suite themselves they have to abide by home office guidelines-

wait till Baldie gets involved he loves blowing off steam when it comes to firearms legislation getting the local slant .

if you read it as is-

see my earlier post: my FAC says:

"it is an offence not to notify.Details of the notification required are available from your local police"

The "7 days" is in the context of theft,loss or destruction of the certificate-it is quite explicit about this.It is followed by 'inform without undue delay=

' any change of address.These conditions are on the front of the FAC.You cannot just import '7 days" elsewhere,as the change of address condition makes clear.

Read it.

Gbal

if you read it as is-

see my earlier post: my FAC says:

"it is an offence not to notify.Details of the notification required are available from your local police"

The "7 days" is in the context of theft,loss or destruction of the certificate-it is quite explicit about this.It is followed by 'inform without undue delay any change of address." These conditions are on the front of the FAC.You cannot just import '7 days" elsewhere,as the change of address condition makes clear-it is not '7 days' but 'without undue delay'.

It may be that the police/legislators think different circumstances/seriousness merit different time scales,and that seems fair enough-a stolen firearm eg needs reporting pretty damn quick .

Gbal

if you read it as is-

as i say -no time scale the local firearms dept cannot make up rules and regs to suite themselves they have to abide by home office guidelines-

wait till Baldie gets involved he loves blowing off steam when it comes to firearms legislation getting the local slant .

Well maybe.But lets hope it is read carefully first,and not misquoted,or misinterpreted.Note the word "guidlines"-this is not legislation.And no action is being taken against an FAC holder...? Or have I missed something?

Gbal

Archived