Loving my 223

sussexsteve

Decided to go out last night as the weather looked to take a turn for the worse. No roe came out to play only fallow so away with the 270 and out came the 223.The rifle is a tikka which i dismissed as too plasticky after having sakos but picked this up at a steal 2nd hand for foxing. This was my 2nd fox under the lamp at 100yards the previous being taken at 190. Picked up the eyes and she circled around me giving me just enough to put the red dot on her and thwack down she went. Must say im impressed with the 223 using 50gr nosler bts makes a great lightweight rig.

ATB Steve

foxes001_zpsab0b18e6.jpg

Good going mate, if the vixen is out hunting it may mean the cubs are eating meat now, so go sit around the area early morning or evening and you might catch the dog going back to the cubs as he will carry on feeding them, end of the day good job well done ;)

Decided to go out last night as the weather looked to take a turn for the worse. No roe came out to play only fallow so away with the 270 and out came the 223.The rifle is a tikka which i dismissed as too plasticky after having sakos but picked this up at a steal 2nd hand for foxing. This was my 2nd fox under the lamp at 100yards the previous being taken at 190. Picked up the eyes and she circled around me giving me just enough to put the red dot on her and thwack down she went. Must say im impressed with the 223 using 50gr nosler bts makes a great lightweight rig.

ATB Steve

foxes001_zpsab0b18e6.jpg

Iam glad you like your Tikka .223 lite, I have one and put a PSE composite light weight stock on it. Feels much better with this after market stock.

Good luck with finding the cubs.!

Nice setup Steve, and a good fox to get. As others say try your best to sort the cubs out and any other adults knocking about should be easy to get once the cubs are found. I found a litter of 9 last night, think two vixens are using the same earth or have moved together, waited until 2am about 200yards away hidden in a dyke but was a no show. Tonight is the night!

Nice setup Steve, and a good fox to get. As others say try your best to sort the cubs out and

any other adults knocking about should be easy

to get once the cubs are found. I found a litter of 9 last night, think two vixens are using the same

earth or have moved together, waited until 2am

about 200yards away hidden in a dyke but was a no show. Tonight is the night!

Good luck buddy ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one mate and a nice looking rig you've got there. Reading all these foxing posts is making me DESPERATE to get back out there. .223 is such a great calibre.

I have a Tikka T3 lite stainless in 223 it is a great gun it puts the shot just where you want it.

I use mine of vermin, foxes and Roe never had anything get back up (55 grain soft point or 55 grain nosler balistic tip).

Sam

I've just got a .223 again after years of just a .243. It does need a bit more thought about the wind but it is a sweet little round.

Finally broke the 300y barrier this week with 302 and then 317 on crows.

I'm getting through ammo like stink so just sent off to have my allowances raised. I'm torn between brands at the moment as it shoots Privi fine out to say 150y but seems a little more inconsistent past 200 than the Norma's.

There's also something deeply satisfying about a Vmax kill ;)

Just changed to vmax 50 pills and took a rook at 100 from the highseat then a magpie who flew in 10 seconds later. Wish it was legal for fallow don't think I'd bother with another calibre

Atb Steve

But maybe not for reds? The issue is not fine accuracy really,but "clout"/energy delivered.When tried on almost any deer bigger than our roe,the 22cfs have not proven as reliable as the 6mms ,and the 6s have to give way to more powerful cartridges in turn.Yes the 224s can do it,but not with enough authority.Nor are the 224s significantly more accurate in minute of deer terms either.

Gbal

I've just got a .223 again after years of just a .243. It does need a bit more thought about the wind but it is a sweet little round.

Finally broke the 300y barrier this week with 302 and then 317 on crows.

I'm getting through ammo like stink so just sent off to have my allowances raised. I'm torn between brands at the moment as it shoots Privi fine out to say 150y but seems a little more inconsistent past 200 than the Norma's.

There's also something deeply satisfying about a Vmax kill ;)

Just changed to vmax 50 pills and took a rook at 100 from the highseat then a magpie who flew in 10 seconds later. Wish it was legal for fallow don't think I'd bother with another calibre

Atb Steve

have you tried the 53 gr v max my son uses them in his tikka 595 its standard other than being bedded into and mcmillan stock ,i watched him put six shots into a target at 300 yrd the other week and his group was no bigger than a 50p coin

have you tried the 53 gr v max my son uses them in his tikka 595 its standard other than being bedded into and mcmillan stock ,i watched him put six shots into a target at 300 yrd the other week and his group was no bigger than a 50p coin

I also use 53gr V-max a very good accurate bullet dont use anything else now and I have tried many others.

Archived