non-expanding .22 lr on quarry

kent

Are there any who use non expanding target type .22 lr on live quarry regularly? Reason I ask as just been testing various .22 ammo in some pretty bad swirly winds (shooting through the wind cycles without allowances). High velocity, subs, etc. of various brands and types but am finding CCI green tag is holding it all together incredibly well - being less effected than my favoured SK hollow point subsonic. The SK (which will normally bug hole in decent conditions) are actually tight but forming multiple groups within groups evident more of shifting poi rather than lack of consistency generally

I seriously doubt the lack of a recess in the front of the bullet to initiate expansion will make much difference to rabbits if shot in the head but what are the effects like on other quarry (like birds) or larger furry critters also differing placements likely to be- IF YOU HAVE ACTUALLY TRIED please? I am thinking the front recess is effecting accuracy, especially at extended ranges in these "hard to call" inconsistent winds. Up here its windy quite a lot and shooting at night on the lamp or quickly off hand you cannot often "shoot the wind" via selecting the troughs or adjustment allowances.

groups measured as 5 shots @ 50yds only

cci velocitors 0.87"

cci mini mag 1.06"

cci green tag 0.56"

rws subsonic 0.61

Remington sub 1.57"

SK subsonic 0.78"

You might not feel there is a lot in it from the above but this is 50yds only. On a no wind value day I really do expect the gun in question to put bullet on bullet with most quality ammo. except Remington subsonic which just don't seem to shoot in anything I have tried them in!

Going to run a few more tests through a light yet predictable wind at 100 yds when the chance occurs BTW

I used to shoot 22 pistol and had a load of match ammo about so living as remote as you do I used it for rabbits when my HP ran out.

I found that chest shots were a no no to many runners lost a lot down holes. Headshots no problem dropped them as well as the HP's

I think its no different to using an airgun type pellet or big shot in a 12 bore.

I shoot round nose .22LR all the time at game tho I will admit, your rabbits get considerably bigger than ours. The Velocitor should kill any rabbit you come across (1430 fps x 40 grain) and the Mini Mag is a staple for me. I am of the opinion that when you get out of the sub-sonic realm, whether the bullet is a solid point or a hollow point is of little matter. All are swaged pure lead that will dent if dropped onto a hard floor. They are going to expand if given any decent resistence.~Andrew

• 1 month later...

I use 'standard' non expanding type rounds quite often. Never noticed any much difference. I've had shoot throughs with hollow point, and no problems with 'solids'. It's worth remembering that millions of bunnies in UK were shot with .22rf before hollow points were on the market. I have my doubts that there will be that much expansion with subsonics and I don't think high velocity rounds are accurate enough.

Usually , as subsonic hollow points donot work that well , and as alot of the time " Subsonic " ammo is much more expensive than others , I now look at cheap standard target ammo , as its usually subsonic or close to it anyway , and so its at a good cheap price and its also soild point as well , suits me .

The best subsonic ammo , I have ever used is Lapua Scoremax , its a Biathlon match ammo , has 5 very good characteristics , solid point , very heavy , subsonic & accurate , and high subsonic velocity .

Hits hard .

Bullet weight is 48gr , and is good as it is usable by most rifles , ie it still stabilises in the normal rimfire twists .

Lapu should make it again , and this time emphasize the Subsonic aspect of the ammo .

Later Chris

Well I have tested the hollow point vs solids on rabbits and foxes

I actually went as far as opening the hollow point a bit more on some and forcing a no.6 shotgun pellet into the hole on a few which worked an absolute charm.

Obviously not viable if more than a few shots required but I wanted a specific subsonic load with much more expansion for some troublesome urban foxes.

I recovered this one after passing through the foxes skull, it was sitting on the surface of the earth under the fox,

Shot from about 25ft, lost all its energy in under 1ft

its less than half its original length and folded right back on itself like a jacketed round

you can see the dimple the shotgun pellet has made in the front

IMG_33531.jpg

this was a standard subsonic I recovered from under the skin of a head shot rabbit:

approximately 75% of its orginial length but has opened up to almost double the calibre

007-2.jpg

it travelled through the skull, parted the flesh between the shoulder blades and lost the rest of it's energy in 4-5" of subcutaneous travel.

bullet in situ as found below. it is under the membrane against the muscle but did not bruise between shoulder and hip

516.jpg

I have yet to recover a solid on either fox or rabbit

for me that is a good enough reason to stick with hollow points.

less energy on exit (if any) and significantly less chance of ricochets, added to the energy going into the target

It ended up not being something I followed, performance of target solids was only better in proper winds. Stuck to my usual SK subsonics which expand as your photos Bresh even without the pellet added. Shot in light to non existent winds at 50 no difference, 100 very marginal improvement (maybe finding a little wind?). On balance decided it better to just take easier opportunities if it was blowy and not push it on the terminals

• 3 weeks later...

Although this topic seems to have come to closure, I will add my experiences of using a friends rifle when both out together, getting (unfortunately) one or two runners I had queries the ammo to be informed it was in fact solids which he had left over from "the range". Although not testing rounds for expansion, velocity etc we know the rounds were accurate but there was a difference in live quarry effectiveness (audible also) with expanding and non. I would always advocate point of impact of course, and when this is achieved I doubt much comparison, the expanding rounds do however (my view only) give a slight resilience for user error.

Although this topic seems to have come to closure, I will add my experiences of using a friends rifle when both out together, getting (unfortunately) one or two runners I had queries the ammo to be informed it was in fact solids which he had left over from "the range". Although not testing rounds for expansion, velocity etc we know the rounds were accurate but there was a difference in live quarry effectiveness (audible also) with expanding and non. I would always advocate point of impact of course, and when this is achieved I doubt much comparison, the expanding rounds do however (my view only) give a slight resilience for user error.

Archived