What would you buy

matchking

Sorry for posting so many dull questions regarding night vision. But NV is not something i have ever really been into. I had my heart set on an add on Archer or PVS 14 since then i have been told that a dedicated would offer better picture quality. I have a rifle put aside to have a NV scope fitted so not worried about tying a rifle up. I have around £2500 to spend if i have to. So what would you buy?

Thanks sean

Simple 4x Raptor then save like fook for a Good thermal ( spotter)

Are raptors available? Is 4x mag enough? Is there not a 6x or are these a lot more money?

Thanks Sean

Theres one or two around, don't know if any for sale at the min tho, 6x is good but its one big ass heavy mother thats why i dropped to a 4x i find 4x plenty and very little if any at all ir needed. But a good spotter is the key, spot with thermal find fox lift rifle turn on take shot job done.

A mate of mine trialled a Raptor and said it was excellent but it very quickly got "splash marks" from muzzle flash and the mod T8. He sent it back and heard no more??

A mate of mine trialled a Raptor and said it was excellent but it very quickly got "splash marks" from muzzle flash and the mod T8. He sent it back and heard no more??

So he had a Raptor on lone?? from were?? i bet it was a 6x he should of used a Jetz mod, 6x dedicateds (Raptors /D760's)and overbarrel mods don't gel well.

Sean the answer is Thermal for spotting and a Longbow ! however cost is the issue. Some people cant get on with add ons, personally they are fine for me. If £2500 is your budget then I would go for the Archer, buy an extra metal coller for £100 and then buy a PVS14 three time mil spec lens if you can find one. This will change your Archer into a highly efficient spotter which you can then wack onto the back of your scope. I will bring my Archer down for you to try.

ATB

Sean the answer is Thermal for spotting and a Longbow ! however cost is the issue. Some people cant get on with add ons, personally they are fine for me. If £2500 is your budget then I would go for the Archer, buy an extra metal coller for £100 and then buy a PVS14 three time mil spec lens if you can find one. This will change your Archer into a highly efficient spotter which you can then wack onto the back of your scope. I will bring my Archer down for you to try.

ATB

I have no doubt that your suggested system will work but removing the 3x lens from the Archer and then attaching it the scope is going to be a right time consuming ball ache and noisy as well when you have a fox ready to be shot.

My suggested N750 based system will see further than any Archer I have ever looked through and still leaves enough in the budget for a decent spotter as well.

The Raptor scopes I am sure are good as well but a cheap second hand one will be at or over budget (if available) and with nothing left at all as a spotter, plus I think I have only ever seen 2 or 3 come for sale in the last 3 years.

A good spotter is an integral part of any NV system, you really can't spot with a rifle for any period of time. I use a PVS-14 with a 3x lens which is outstanding but would use up his entire budget in one hit.

Anthony

I agree with your comments fully, it can be a pain to detach the Archer from the spotting scope and then re-attach to the rifle scope, however it can be done fairly quickly if its set up correctly. The N750 with a NM800 IR torch is a great set up. I used to have a N550 with doubler and an NV1000 laser this was also a competent set up and I was able to shoot foxes out to around 150 yards.

The Archer allowed me take foxes slightly beyond 150 yards as it was linked to the correct scope and I was able to increase the magnification to give me more than the N550. I guess there is one crucial element here, the Archer allows you to use your rifle and scope in day light and for lamping etc. Whereas the N750 is not up to much when used in the day.

I have recently put a Swarovski Z6 gen2 5-30 BT on top of my .223, this is a top end scope which also allows me to fit my Archer and other add ons to it if I wish, it also gives a very good sight picture with these add ons. Cost is the issue for Sean and for my money the Archer would be the way to go as it frees up the rifle and I find the Pulsars cumbersome. I agree with you that a PVS14 with 3 times mil spec lens is a brilliant spotter, I have however moved on from this to Thermal used in conjunction with a Longbow. In years gone by the Archer has served me well, and now its lying idle.

All this fancy kit aside I still think a good lamp man holding a light force 170 with me on the rifle gives me a bigger buzzzzzz !

ATB

Mike...

Thanks boys, I am possibly having an archer turning up friday to try, I have a 2.5-16x42 bushnell elite to try it on. I will let you know how i get on.

Thanks sean

As 223 magic says the Archer which ive also had and used in the past with a good IR is good to 200yds ive also now moved on to better kit but i still only keep my max range to 300yds, better you go the more price it goes up as said above...but i wouldn't knock the Archer.

Just picked up new pvs 14 and thermal for work as new battalion in had give last lot back,sadly not mine but look at the toys i had a play with tonight on the shelf.

Picture1s_zps8d946800.png[/url]

Go on then £10K i will take the lot..!!!! GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGreen with envy!!!!!

Just picked up new pvs 14 and thermal for work as new battalion in had give last lot back,sadly not mine but look at the toys i had a play with tonight on the shelf.

Picture1s_zps8d946800.png[/url]

Nice toys.

shame about the neighbours.

Archived