Steyr rifles

Am I right in thinking that you can't replace the barrels on Steyr rifles? Or if you do it would probably cost as much as buying a new rifle.

I'm talking about a Steyr scout, a friend of mine has one that has started to shoot erratic. He has replaced his T8 with a new one due to lack of maintenance, I have told him this is probably the reason for the rifle being erratic. He's thinking of buying another but I wanted to check out the possibilities of re barreling it first.

Also how many rounds would you expect to get out of the barrel? lets just say with minimal cleaning!

Ian

life depends on cal and the rounds fed to it, hot loads shorter life. There are people who can replace the steyr barrels including Steyr themselves.

Like many things Germanic, they are made to do a job and also designed to be made as quickly and cheaply as possible, the real cost comes later when you want to repair things. I seem to remember Roedale rifles said he could rebarrel them, he has a website.

Redfox

I belive that the Steyr barrels are press fit into the action and to rebarrel, you either send back to factory, or get someone to chop off the existing barrel and then bore out the old tenon and cut a thread into the action.

You then rebarrel using the normal technique.

Expensive if done over here.....

Guest dasherman

The Scout has a very different system of retaining its barrel to the SSG or Prohunter models. It uses a collet system to hold the barrel into the alloy action. I've rebarreled them in .243, 7-08 and 6mmppc and have a .223 one awaiting a 20tac tube. It is a fair bit more work than a standard rifle.

Archived