A Max in .243

auquhollie

Hi,

I am looking to stock up on tips for the 243 and was looking at the A max tips. I know of a lad years ago that used them on vermin with great results. He swore it was the V max under a different name.

What are your thought's ?, would you or do you use them on Vermin or even bigger ;) .

Adam.

In my 223 with 52gr a-max very good results on fox.

In 308 with 155gr a-max the damage to a fox was not

as bad as expected. So that I would be tempted to use them on deer.

In the 308 speed was only at around 2700 fps and very accurate.

edi

Edi,

That was exactly as i was told as well. They are a target round but they have been used on Fur with supberb results.

Anyone else use them ?. In 243 maybe ?.

Ads

Well Hornady say 1-9 or faster for the 105gr Amax, but they are not legal for deer, particularly as hornady say they arent suitable ( rapid expansion with limited penetration).

But there is the 95gr SST which is a controlled expansion version of the Vmax which is suitable for deer and varmints, or you could zero up for the 75gr Vmax and also for the 95gr SST and swap between them, depepends what your mostly going to use the rifle for.

I used to swap between 95 gr nosler partitions and their 75 gr btips and it wasnt a big effort to do it. but later I had a 3-12 by 50 scope for varminting and a 6x42 scope in its own mounts for deer stalking.

There are several solutions, but on balance the 95gr SST would seem to be about the easiest. It will kill charlies no problem and anything smaller will be well dead and still do a job on deer, nice flat trajectory too.

Redfox

"A-MAX™ and BTHP Match - Rapid, explosive expansion with limited penetration.

Recommended muzzle velocity range: 2000+ fps.

These bullets are not recommended for hunting medium and large game."

Well Hornady say 1-9 or faster for the 105gr Amax, but they are not legal for deer, particularly as hornady say they arent suitable ( rapid expansion with limited penetration).

But there is the 95gr SST which is a controlled expansion version of the Vmax which is suitable for deer and varmints, or you could zero up for the 75gr Vmax and also for the 95gr SST and swap between them, depepends what your mostly going to use the rifle for.

I used to swap between 95 gr nosler partitions and their 75 gr btips and it wasnt a big effort to do it. but later I had a 3-12 by 50 scope for varminting and a 6x42 scope in its own mounts for deer stalking.

There are several solutions, but on balance the 95gr SST would seem to be about the easiest. It will kill charlies no problem and anything smaller will be well dead and still do a job on deer, nice flat trajectory too.

Redfox

"A-MAX™ and BTHP Match - Rapid, explosive expansion with limited penetration.

Recommended muzzle velocity range: 2000+ fps.

These bullets are not recommended for hunting medium and large game."

Thanks again for the replys.

I have been using the 75 & 87 grain V max on every thing up to roe deer. A neck shot with a V max and it is all over. The reason for the A max's was really to get a good supplier. Up were i live i have 2 gun shops. One of them does reloading gear but wont stock v max or Ballistic tips come to that. He likes the SP tips and wont even stock BT ;)

Thought i would give the A max a try and then i can have tips posted to me.

Ads

You can buy from RSD and have them sent to any gun dealer ( crazy I know) and all they have to do is sign the carriers note. The trouble with the A Max is it tends to blow up on the surface particularly if it hits bone, the Vmax is the same, which is why I suggested the SST which will penetrate.

Surely to do no work just sign for the package they would help you out even if you have to drop them a fiver or so. There are various lads on here who I'm sure could help you with sourcing.

There are other bullets too like Barnes, Berger and Barts etc which are postable, with the AI you can drive them hard enough to get the result you want ;) and they ar classed as match bullets.

Redfox

Cheers Red fox,

The only dealer up here told me ide have to buy 1000 to make it worth his while. At his prices i aint paying !!!

I will follow up the avenue you suggested.

All the best.

Ads

I have found the 90gn scenars exceptionally good in the 243 AI ,

they can be posted and are really accurate. as and when i pass a gun shop that has them in stock i get my full quota of 87 gn vmax.

if i run low i settle for the scenars, they do the business on most quarry.

Hi all.

Having just finished the 75gr Speer HP bullets and about to start again with my favourite, the 75gr V.Max I opened up a new box today and loaded a few with my normal load of 40.5 gr of Vit. N140, Federal 210 Gold Medal Match primer and GECO brass and went to my range for a test.

It was a bright but breezy day. I set up the target at 100 yards and fired 5 shots out of the car window.

The fourth shot was a `cock shot `but at nearly 75 I am to be excused the odd failure or so I have been told !

Grouping was very good with 4 shots being easily hidden under a 5 pence piece.

A few clicks to the left will centre the group and the elevation will be OK for my purposes.

20 Carrion Crows and 3 Maggies since Jan. 1st so far.

75grVMax70208003-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Adam

Depending where you are in Aberdeenshire, you can get Hornady V-Max and Nosler Ballistic Tips from Trap and Field Supplies, Elgin. See his website for prices. It's a while since I've been there but I'm sure RG Rifles at Mintlaw carry them in stock also.

Regards

Mark

I know Russ at RG rifles very well, he has shut up his shop now though and is only building rifles.

I have managed to get a source for tips though. Thanks for all the reply's.

Ads

Archived