cost of re barrel on 223

I would highly recommend Neil Mckillop, he rebarreled by 20cal and I am over the moon with his work.

Being a good gunsmith isn't just about generating a gun that shoots good groups, I also like patience, understanding, willingness to explain facts and good customer service with after sales care, Neil is good on all counts.

Price is a smaller consideration to all of the above.

Not to us Northern folk, be as ignorant as you like up here just do a good job and a good price LOL

I have been quoted £699 + vat for a re barrel Inc proofing, invisible thread cap so £725 for all that work seems a bargain. There just seems such a big choice in barrels that I really don't know what to go for.

Paul

I have been quoted £699 + vat for a re barrel Inc proofing, invisible thread cap so £725 for all that work seems a bargain. There just seems such a big choice in barrels that I really don't know what to go for.

Paul

Hi Paul,

There are quite a few factors that affect accuracy-the barrel is certainly a main one,but what sort of groups do you get from the current barrel,and do you really need more,and can get it under your likely shooting conditions.?

A 2-3mph wind misread will disperse shots more than the difference between barrels might do;ditto reloading etc.I have both,factory and top smith-UK and USA,and only in extreme competitions,like Bench Rest does the extra expense seem essential,and only under those top conditions can it be shown consistently.

I am not convinced either that all rebarreled rifles are competitive at the highest level-they just don't do it compared to out and out competition custom rifles,which of course cost maybe four times as much,as every component is top notch.That's a thousand pounds per .1moa,and corresponding costs in weight etc.while youcanbuy precision,one reason it's done,the other skills are not for sale.

A worn out barrel of course is a different issue,and rebarreled makes a lot of sense,if you like the rifle.

Gbal

Paul

Not a lot to choose between any of them really jeffo, theyr'e all superior to a factory barrel in some way or other.

Regards.

Archived